Optus coverage

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Please help me. Where is the best area in Victoria that my partner can get Optus coverage whilst he can still do his fossicking. Any tips on where he can get a shower would be awesome. He is out there totally unorganised ? He is near Bendigo today whipstick I believe

I use Optus at home in Adelaide, but when in the GT i carry a Flip 3 Telstra prepaid. I then went to Boost mobile as it is on the entire Telstra network. Why?

I found that in many areas Optus just does not work. I get no service in Tarnagulla, Kingower or south of Maryborough. If you are within a few kms of major areas i.e. Ballarat Bendigo, Avoca etc there is a signal, but once in the forest areas that quickly fails.

Showers - Tarnagulla oval coin operated. Maryborough indoor pool sports centre are 2 I know of, but with Covid, I don't know if they are open.

Nightjar said:
Totally irresponsible, this is why expensive searches for the lost are happening every year. Sometimes found alive, more often dead. Shake a bit of common sense into him if and when he gets home.
BTW in WA once you are about 10km from outback towns Optus coverage ceases.

Fair go Nightjar - a bit harsh. Do people really get lost in the Whipstick? Walk out to roads all over the place - but a map would be useful. A bit like Bourke St (I held it under EL and explored back in the days when that was still possible).

A bowl and flannel will keep you going for days, with some water. Even in a group, you all ultimately "mature" together at an even rate, when you all stink, noone stinks I find.

Yes, service stations. I have also found pubs and camp grounds will permit a shower for a small fee (thank God for Heyfield pub after a couple of weeks prospecting on the High Plains).

I use Telstra (better coverage but charge like a wounded bull), but also have a small external aerial for my mobile that boosts signal. Few phones take them nowadays.
A PLB is a cost - last was $330 - but batteries last ten years, if your worry is about emergency contact.

I have a bag with a shower head that I hang from a tree - fill it, pull the cord and it showers on you. Buy them at camping stores. Only had unexpected visitors once...

Latest posts