Only fine gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting googling
From what I've been able to find it's either 100 or 200 mesh gear depending on personal take
So 100 mesh is ~149u (micron) that's 0.149 mm
The pin in the pic is about 250 micron at the point where is zips out of frame comparing it to my recently dug out micro drill bits. The pin is about 500 micron at full diameter
Looks like that shot of mine is full of some just sub 100 to some well and truly bigger, bugger me.

Hope this coming across right, not arguing just trying to get my head around terms so I can visualise what I'm reading in this and other forums

Suppose my eyes will never see flour gold, I'm bloody amazed anyone can unless it is in a whole bunch :)

Yeah, fine gold is like powder, most of the stuff ive got up here is so fine, its really hard to get out of the pan.
:|

What State are you Davent? I got a bunch of flour recently and lost most of it trying to concentrate it from the pan. Think i have learned a bit in the process but still frustrating. That was Tassy of course.

Other end of Oz mate, NT.
try this, pan it down untill you have the fines and the fine gold just visible.
Place the pan on a flat surface, like a bench, aggitate it side to side pretty quickly, with one hand, and place your other hand on the bench with your palm facing the pan, when aggitating, tap it against the hand on the bench, the gold will seperate from the fines a bit, when the gold has pooled, remove as much as you can with a snuffer bottle, and repeat the process. When its just fines left, remove as much of the black sand etc you feel comfortable with, empty the snuffer bottle back into the pan, and repeat the process again, its the only way I can do it anyway....use amRE magnet as well, but it takes me a while to clean up.
Last lot I had, I melted down and got .9 of a gram. Will go get some more dirt next time im down there.

Flour golds difficult to concentrate effectively, I've found the best way is just to run your material twice. It displaces quite easily if there are other heavies so you'll always lose a bit here and there but its easier to capture if you've already removed the blacksands, shotgun pellets etc and it's the only real heavy in the pan. The only other really effective solution I've found is mercury, but you wouldn't want to use that on a creek anyway.

Fine gold..mmm.. well i spose its what youre used to seeing as classing it as fine... micron gold/fine/ small.. Flour gold is what its commonly known as ive heard and it floats easily too.....i use a Gold Cube and the first time i ran it a mate swirled the sluiced material in a pan for me(as i couldnt pan at that stage) and blow me down there was a big pile of super fine gold piling up that i really wouldnt be able to see individual "specs" if it wasnt piled together then it was visible... totally amazed by how much really really super fine gold is actually in the ground. Its very hard to get out and time consuming so i just put the sands in a jar after ive "suckered" up the visible gold and one day will extract the sand/fine gold... The gold in your pic looks jagged and rough like it hasnt moved far like others have mentioned. Gold is Gold, good work on the recent find. Id like to do something with all the flour gold oneday as theres tons of it around and the Cube is catching it.

Latest posts