Old Snowy River

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jindy Gold

Peter Olijnyk
Reaction score
Hello Guys and girls. Just hoping someone can help me out with some confusion here. Ive done a little bit of research and just got confused.

Ive been reading about the old Kiandra gold fields and keep hearing references to the Snowy river. As the snowy as it is now runs from guthega pondage into jindabyne and then down to vic im wondering if this reference is to the tumut river or eucumbene river. I have found some references but just got myself confused as they keep mentioning hobs hole and tumut. If anyone can clarify for me or point me in the correct direction as to what river the "oldtimers" may be refering too.

I am pretty sure it will be in the national park and im not looking to run dirt there.(we get to many illegal prospecting down this way as it is). But i think if im correct there is a space in the national park , A little gap that a particular river runs through. also just a question for a mate, is the main public prospecting place for sapphires at grabben gullen on sapphire road at the creek or is it towards grabben gullen itself.

Also im finding garnets in the mowamba river just past jindabyne down barry way off big yard road. they are small but must be breaking off bigger specimans, im just wondering why there is really no references to gemstones around jindabyne as im finding smaller ones regularly. I mainly go for gold so just new to gemstones. You guys here have inspired me to get out and about and look for blue and red instead of gold. Thanks for all your posts, its very informative and helps alot with research.

Also i travel to canberra alot and am looking to meet you guys from the gemstone clubs. so if anyone has any information as to who and when that would be appreciated. Sorry if this post is in the wrong section. I never know where to go to comment or post.

Thanks alot. if anyone is heading to jindy or the mountains for a look, be prepared, we are still getting snow flurries and the water is cold.

cheers

The Snowy River as it is referred to in the old Historic books of Kiandra is in the present day known as the Eucumbene River.

Was actually in Jindabyne today but had no time to Fossick. Would have been good to meet as I had my Walbanker in the tray but I'm sure another opportunity will come up soon.

Lobbs Hole is at the very top of the Talbingo Dam. It's also known as the Ravine on current maps and you access it from the Snowy Mountains Highway at the Jounama Homestead turnoff or on the road between Selwyn and Cabramurra. It was the site of one of the richest copper mines in NSW when the old timers hit it (30%). There were also reports that gold was found at the collar of the mine but sporadic at best... No gold mining was ever undertaken there. At least with the ravine track you won't get any scratches from overgrown bush but the track is real bumpy. Best to go in from the Selwyn side otherwise you will have to cross the Yarrangobilly River. Just a little further down from here the Yarrangobilly and Tumut rivers used to converge but that point is now under the Talbingo Dam.

I am currently mapping out new locations in the Snowy area. Checking Trove and the Minerals maps of NSW.

At Mowamba river just past Jindabyne have you been highbanking there? I see the alluvial field marked.

There are a few spots I am working on. Actually, having a detailed map of the Snowy Prospecting area would be very handy over summer and I am making one.

Thanks guys for that, And myles i did get your message . just now.. I have changed phone provider as reception is crap out here. Sorry i missed you.But im sure we will catch up soon. As for the mowamba, yes i highbank there with my converted river sluice. It runs through my property where i live so its handy. I also head up river as well. There is a good spot i know of but have never tried, but the farmers tell me their fathers used to get small gold there. its just past gullies rd where the river is closest to barry way on a very nice bend.
Redmanti sounds like that would be a great idea so if you need any help let me know.
Just a note , was walking around kiandra the other day about 200m off the road as a lovely quartz outcrop caught my eye, and i thought id go for a walk to have a look.. not to get any as it national park but just to look, but what i found interesting was the quartz was just quartz, but about 20 meters down a bit near powerline creek i think it was i found a natural spring that was flowing about the speed of a kitchen tap on full, out of a hole about 30cm round... like a pipe in the ground that would go under a road, but was just coming out of the hill, anyway it was washing the dirt away so the bottom was just clean rock and covered in yellow stuff. maybe about 1gram was the biggest little nugget there with many smaller ones. of course i left them there ..
Thanks for the info. it clarifies what i thought it might be..

I know that at Sunday church services around the Monaro miners passing through would often deposit gold nuggets instead of coins into the Church takings.

Kiandra was the source of many of those.

Tomorrow I am out with my GoldBug 2 on the Yambulla tailings near Eden.

But I am going to build a map on Google just for the Snowy area as next year I will be going through the Snowy's a lot.

Latest posts