Old person question...Old Print of Circular Quay 1800's ish? what's the crinkly paper it's printed on called?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B5MECH

Laurence Male
Reaction score
Thought I'd ask here since it's a cool historical print...I believe Circular Quay early 1800's....... :cool:
Just wondering if any one knows what the crinkly paper it's printed on called?...I expect it's a 1930's print from where it came from
My google fingers give up :lol:
1498716722_sydney_print_001.jpg

1498716722_sydney_print_002.jpg

1498716722_sydney_print_003.jpg

1498716722_sydney_print_004.jpg

1498716723_sydney_print_005.jpg

1498716782_sydney_print_006.jpg

1498716782_sydney_print_007.jpg

1498716783_sydney_print_008.jpg

1498716783_sydney_print_009.jpg

Cool Print hey :cool: :Y: ...Go the legless dude :lol:
Edit...sorry for the old person question I meant printer art type person :D

nucopia said:
Nice print there B5mech
State library might be a good place to take it for information.
Thanks Nuc :cool: I'm a bit far from a real library :/ It has to be Circular Quay but might even be the late 1700's
Maybe I should try the art teacher at the local school...
Here's a real pic from the early 1800's
55ed21c5ce36a4776c225b4a80aea047.jpg

the resemblance of the buildings are remarkable. could be another way of searching the circa of them.
sorry b5mech im not arty but cool print and picture :Y:

Mackka said:
Hey B5 are you sure that it is just not moisture affecting the paper as it looks to have some rust staining?
Mackka

Hey Mackka :cool: :Y: It's been stored inside a book for a long time so has a bit of spotting...
I've seen the wrinkle paper before just know nothing about art or printing so all my google words end back to square one :/
It's too even for it to be distortion wrinkles from moisture so I'm thinking the paper will date the print...maybe ...or at least a time frame :cool:

Ramjet said:
AWESOME images B5. Is it paper or vellum? SOOOO jealous! :D
Thanks guys...It seems to be paper but slightly thicker RJ.....Just can't put my finger on what I've seen it used on but was more than likely an old print

Mackka said:
Any idea f the gsm of the paper, that could be a lead.
Mackka
I have no idea Mackka...my scales can't weigh it...I'm thinking a print shop owner may get a visit :cool:

Gem in I said:
the resemblance of the buildings are remarkable. could be another way of searching the circa of them.
sorry b5mech im not arty but cool print and picture :Y:
Thanks Gem :cool: :Y: You lead me to the Rowing Club but now I'm stuck again :lol: ....
Should I email the rowing club on who did the sketch and is it in a museum maybe? :/

Maybe parchment if it's very thick compared to normal paper, a lot of sketches were done on cartridge paper too
cheers Keith
Is parchment paper like fake pirate treasure map paper...hmmm...I think I've seen greeting cards with the same texture paper :eek:
:)
Great history there. Glad they didn't re-name it "Rectangular Quay" after the works. Explains a lot :Y:
beaufoy-merlin-circular-quay-from-dawes-battery-1873-web.jpg

Here's a cool pic BW :eek: 100 plus years and the circle ran flat :eek:
1.jpg

What a change hey :eek:

grubstake said:
:lol: :Y: Ar that's too funny Gs...I wonder if he's the original Where's Wally....and the artist has been hiding him for 100 years 8)
Maybe it started as a striped tie :lol: :Y:

B5MECH said:
Ramjet said:
AWESOME images B5. Is it paper or vellum? SOOOO jealous! :D
Thanks guys...It seems to be paper but slightly thicker RJ.....Just can't put my finger on what I've seen it used on but was more than likely an old print

QEll I guess anything of that age would be thicker than modern paper... hand made perhaps.

Latest posts