Old Mines

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tictac

Brett Edwards
Reaction score
Has anyone ever found and entered and old mine. I foind one the other day that has the entrance filled up with debris to the top of the tunnel. I was going to dig a trench out and get the water flowing and use the water to help remove the rubbish in the entrance. What are your thoughts...

Removing rubbish that has been holding the walls or roof up for years isn't always the best idea, especially if you havnt been into one yet.

I give myself 50/50 chance to resurface. Dont pet a barking dog

Hi AtomRat, the rubbish is in the open cut entrance. when standing at the mine entrance my feet are level with the top of the horizontal shaft going into the rock. The only cleanup i am thinking of doing is outside the mine itself.

Like a rotten Apple.
Looks good on the out side but, on the inside, :mad:
what color roses do you want. :D
Especially if it is full of water.
After you drain it then walk in. Usually not far from the entrance it was common practice to have a
winze, A shaft any thing up to a few hundred feet deep straight down. Still full of water and covered over with rotten timber.
Then there is the pressure created after you have drained it by the surrounding water table.
Hope you can Ski. LOL
Then finally contend with Gas.
Sorry to be a prick but looking at your
first post you do not know the inherent dangers of
an old mine. :eek:
Tread carefully my friend as I would like to meet you one day. :D

Hey Trathradj. I dont think you are being a prick,You were right i have no idea. I put this up to get all the information i can gather so i make an informed decision..
Lats thing i want to do is something stupid. So i have already started planning a trip this weekend to cloud creek about an hour away from home. A nice easy day panning. Thanks for the advice and the concern. I am always keen to meet other addicts. May all your gravels glitter.....

That is a good idea. :)
Would love to see some photo's and the
general location of the mine. :)

Latest posts