Old gold town - Victoria Goldfields

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This little beauty popped up in the scrub (Vic Goldfields). Unless you actually walked over the site you would miss it. The only reason I found it was walking to some new ground. These sites are covered by heritage laws and are to be left alone. I think some bottle hunters have hit it in the past but apart from that, it looks well left alone. Having said that, thought the pics were worth an upload in case you see something similar. From what I can gather, this was a small street with businesses catering for the surrounding diggings - note run of diggings in background. The piles of bricks are collapsed chimneys and the clay surface appears to be the building outline. Thats a pile of smashed bottles on the brick pile.
1382957120_aaatast_1.jpg

Several buildings in a row.
1382957141_atats_2.jpg

Types of bottles in area. not into bottles but guessing they were gin?
1382957163_atats_3.jpg

Amazing insight there Loamer . Thanks ! you guys are very lucky to have so much of that type of country and diggings to explore,

Thanks for that one Loamer. Just love those old sites.

Kanowna WA where the Kanowna Belle gold mine is - amazing sight from the viewing platform - has signs in place where each building once stood, just so interesting.

We recently spent time at Leonora WA and other gold detecting areas and could not miss going to Gwalia to see the old gold town, including pub, hospital, shops, everything just left there, from cars to cooking pots, bottles, handmade furniture, etc, most constructed on galvanised sheets and anything they could find. A bit on Google about it.

There is also the site of an old gold town an hour and a half from here but it's very overgrown, and there are a couple of shafts.

Latest posts