Object found by SDC2300 but what is it?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The missus got sick of carrying my pick, and after a lot of deliberation it was decided that an SDC2300 would be the answer. Off to the Whipstick and away she went, picking up all manner of things in the junk category, including the item in the picture. Some kind of awl perhaps. Appears to be made of bronze or some other non-ferrous metal and it cleaned up a treat. Can someone tell us what it is and what it might be used for. At the end of the day we went to some flogged out diggings, the type that has well worn walking tracks between them. I got to use the SDC and stood in the bottom of a shallow hole and simply detected 360 degrees around the inside, just below the rim. Detected 3 small bird shot pellets all within 2 feet of each other and what I thought would be the 4th pellet turned out to be the small piece in the picture. It came in at 0.1 grams. None of these 4 detected items responded to my GPX 5000 on factory settings with the standard 11" mono Commander, or a Detech 15 x 12 mono.

1405928792_img_20140720_212856_628.jpg