Oberon NSW information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F C, not sure if it is still open for fishing, but the dam there used to have some cracking trout in it.
I used to drive 4 hours round trip to have a go at them.
The water was crystal clear and I used to cast out beyond a weed bed into deeper water.
The pick of lures was the crimson red "tassie devil".
Always got some of a decent size (only ever kept one or 2 for immediate eating/smoking.)
Can't help you with the pretty rocks though.
Its a great place and hope you have some success mate. :cool:

Cheers,

Billy.

its a great dam just a shame you cant camp there. we fished it for a couple of hours but the heat pushed us off early November last year before we caught anything. we left and went to hill end where i met a guy who took me out to try detecting. now im looking at buying one.

Hi everyone, hope we are all well and good, first want to start with apologies cause I hate asking these questions and I know research is the key but I am off to Oberon this Sunday to visit a mate and was thinking of staying the night up there and do some detecting but my drama is I have found heaps of info on panning/sluicing or looking for gems around there but not a lot on detecting for gold, is there detectable gold there and if anyone wants to give a round about location to start at, not spot x on the map but just general I would be forever grateful.
It was a last minute decision to stay there, was going to visit my mate come home that day and go to Mogo Monday but hoping this may be a better idea staying at Oberon as I haven't been there so somewhat exciting to me
Cheers
Jamie

PS. I am in a family sedan, not my 4x4 :(

I've never really detected for gold around Oberon but I know there is certainly gold there. On this map the green markers are gemstones and the gold markers are.... errrrr well you know what they are lol. I've heard there is detectable gold in the Vulcan State Forest at Black Springs, an old bloke I met there one time told me he's found nuggets there.

Mate if you have Google Earth on a laptop or PC check out this link, it will give you the same data as the overlays I'm using, it's awesome.

http://dwh.minerals.nsw.gov.au/CI/warehouse

Just click on the little earth symbol and open it with GE and you'll have all the same data, when you close GE hit save and it will all be there next time you iopen it. Gives you all metallic and gemstone deposits over the whole of NSW.

1458856946_oberon.jpg

No worries Jamie, all the best with it mate, hope you bag a nug or 2. If you get tired of detecting have a look for a few Sapphires. :)

I've heard of detectable gold near Native Dog Ck too over in Essington State Forest.

Don't know how Essington SF is for a sedan but Vulcan Forest should be no worries if you take it easy.

i will take the sieves and pans too, well they are always in the car, have been on the old google maps and that looking about the place so i have a few options within a couple of hundred km's of oberon so i am sure i will find somewhere to find some lead shot and ring pulls lol. was looking at either vulcan or mount david SF as a possible spot, have heard of gold in vulcan but unsure about mount david.
just happy to be in the bush, looking around for a glimmer of gold.
well done on the post count of over 5000 mate, you are a great contributor to our forum, valued by many, myself included.
cheers
jamie