Crookwell (NSW) - Sapphires

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All

As I mentioned in my previous post, I recently caught sapphire fever after a couple of visits to Sapphire Bend near Oberon. I am trying to locate some areas to fossick that are closer to home.

Can anyone please point me towards any fossicking areas around Crookwell that are accessible to the public? I have heard that Grabben Gullen is quite good, but I haven't been able to locate details of specific areas as yet. Looking at Google Maps now, I can't seem to see any State Forests in the area. Do the regulars to this area usually go on to private land?

Thank you in advance.

Cheers

Pete

Very good Heatho

The Australian people are fantastic!
always helping a mate

I LOVE AUSTRALIA, I LOVE AUSTRALIAN PEOPLE! :D

joao garimpeiro said:
Very good Heatho

The Australian people are fantastic!
always helping a mate

I LOVE AUSTRALIA, I LOVE AUSTRALIAN PEOPLE! :D

Thanks mate, it's a small public fossicking area, nice spot for a picnic and have a chance of maybe finding a nice stone if you're lucky. Permission is needed for the private property though.

Always a few members from this forum on the weekends down there, I've met quite a few. :)

Heatho said:
-34.565034, 149.260017 , Here are the GPS co-ordinates. You can fossick next to the bridge or ask the property owner for permission to walk up the creek. Be careful of snakes, there are quite a few there.

Cheers

wow!!
Wonderful place !! I would love to go to a place like this!
1416432700_saphire.jpg

It is a great spot Joao, very peaceful some days, can be difficult to find stones but they are there. It's a good spot to learn how to sieve for gemstones, more experienced people are often there and usually willing to help newbies.

I've never found many stones there and usually head to Northern NSW for Sapphires.

Hey Heatho, does the farmer north west side of the bridge own the land east of the road/bridge as well (if wanting to walk upstream).

Heatho said:
It is a great spot Joao, very peaceful some days, can be difficult to find stones but they are there. It's a good spot to learn how to sieve for gemstones, more experienced people are often there and usually willing to help newbies.

I've never found many stones there and usually head to Northern NSW for Sapphires.

WONDERFUL PLACE, HEATHO!
1416434939_saphire_1.jpg

1416434971_saphire_2.jpg

1416435005_saphire3.jpg

Your pretty handy with the Google earth Joao well done from half a world away. For those thinking of camping there I'd approach the farmer to camp on his place - someone/people had used the big tree above the bend in the fossicking area as a dunny (Joao - dunny = toilet)

Paydirt said:
Hey Heatho, does the farmer north west side of the bridge own the land east of the road/bridge as well (if wanting to walk upstream).
Yes Paydirt, the farmer Owen owns land both sides of the bridge for km, he is happy to have fossickers and for $5 a day camping is included, no facilities but lovely creek, trees and camp spots. In spring black snakes are plentiful as mentioned on other threads.

Thank you everyone greatly for the speedy response and helpful hints - I think I will need to plan a trip to this spot very soon.

Joao I will post some pics of my trip for you - hoping this will include pics of fists full of sapphires.

Cheers

Pete

phantom83 said:
Thank you everyone greatly for the speedy response and helpful hints - I think I will need to plan a trip to this spot very soon.

Joao I will post some pics of my trip for you - hoping this will include pics of fists full of sapphires.

Cheers

Pete

thank you Phantom83

I would love to see

Cheers Fossickeract, I was there couple of months ago and the young bloke ripping around on the quad bike seemed really friendly, giving us a wave each time he crossed the bridge. Black snakes dont worry me as much as t3rds and used bum tickets do.

Latest posts