oallen access blocked

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banksy

steven and debbie banks
Reaction score
we have just returned from oallen today, and went to go to the spot across the bridge with "the paint markings" on the road, (we got in last weekend) but the property owner has now put a padlocked gate up and wire fencing. we tried to access it a bit further down the road, that doesn't have a gate, but just in off the road, he has felled a tree across the track, and put wire fencing up with trespassing signs everywhere. so there is no access to that end of the river now. :(

Might be best to track down the owner and offer
a small percentage of ya finds back to him :)
Then you may be lucky enough to have that section to ya self :)

banksy said:
we have just returned from oallen today, and went to go to the spot across the bridge with "the paint markings" on the road, (we got in last weekend) but the property owner has now put a padlocked gate up and wire fencing. we tried to access it a bit further down the road, that doesn't have a gate, but just in off the road, he has felled a tree across the track, and put wire fencing up with trespassing signs everywhere. so there is no access to that end of the river now. :(

I assume this area is the eastern side of the river and south of the road? If so, I did ask at the Nerriga pub who the owner was so we could approach them to get approval and was told that the owner allowed access to the crown land via the property providing gates where left as they are found.

So what is the ruling about creeks and rivers passing through private property, are we allowed to walk these water ways or are they too private property?

Have often wondered myself.... found this if it helps clarify:

In most cases on larger rivers you can expect the bed and banks of any navigable waterway to the point of the mean high-water mark to be crown land.

The 'high-water mark', or in some states/territories, the 'mean high-water mark', refers to the highest point at which water normally rises. This does not take into account times of flood. It is recognised in the various legislation that this point is not constant from year to year with the changes in the shapes of waterways.

What does all this mean?

In most cases the bed of the water body and the majority of its bank is governed by Crown Lands Acts or the equivalent in each state and territory. This makes it land owned by the government and therefore often accessible to the general public as long as they do not use private land to access the water.

http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic/45914/Public_access_to_waterways_on_private_land.aspx

Drewe.

last weekend you could still go through the part that doesn't have a gate, and go down along the river, but today even that part was blocked off. last weekend there were 2 other cars prospecting around there, as well as us. we don't know who or where to find the owner, so we just went back to the crossing and stayed there for the day.

last weekend hubby and I did comment about the condition of the track in, cause you could see where idiots (bikes) have been.

Maybe it wasn't the owner and was one of our green friends... just saying...

I hope not. I met up with Banksy there last week and I agree the Bikes have chewed some good country. I think the access through the Crown land should be O.K if we talk to the lesee. Anyone know who it is we can approach.
Rockerfella :) :)

rockerfella said:
I hope not. I met up with Banksy there last week and I agree the Bikes have chewed some good country. I think the access through the Crown land should be O.K if we talk to the lesee. Anyone know who it is we can approach.
Rockerfella :) :)

According to James at the Nerriga pub, the owner doesn't live in the area. May be they are putting livestock on the Land and want people to access via a proper gate.

I will be a Nerriga later this week for work and will call in a see what I can find out

Is this Oallen Ford Rd???

With the little bridge over the Shoalhaven River!?!?!

It's a nice spot there, I hope it is not this location I am thinking of......

Last i checked, all the bush from the crossing to the fenced paddocks was crown land. Is it this bush area you are talking about? Left hand side heading towards Nerriga? May have to have another look....
There is another spot that comes to mind but that is definatly private property and had an existing gate, though a lot of people used to just drive round there regardless, as the gate was allways open.

shivan said:
Last i checked, all the bush from the crossing to the fenced paddocks was crown land. Is it this bush area you are talking about? Left hand side heading towards Nerriga? May have to have another look....
There is another spot that comes to mind but that is definatly private property and had an existing gate, though a lot of people used to just drive round there regardless, as the gate was allways open.

The OP can confirm but I think they mean after the forde on the right hand side heading south

There was a few gates there and many access tracks to various parts of the river , the gates were always open when I had been there and some parts of the fence had been cut , there was also evidence that lots of trail bike riders had enjoyed themselves camping there.
If you had been through that part before you would have seen hundreds of metres of steel cables laying across the paddocks there , I assume from one of the old dredges that had worked the river .

Can't blame the owner for improving the fencing to keep them out . Obviously "that element" has crapped on it for everyone.

Maybe the same characters who were running around the campsite drunk one night shooting a 22 over the tents where 4 - 5 families were sleeping

Sheer geniuses :mad:

That was the second spot i was talking about then by the sounds of things. We had never gone over there due to the gate. We had people tell us that the property owner didn't mind but in my mind until i had talked to him myself, i just kept out.

Today I had the opportunity to have a look at the new fence (and what a fence it is, Fort Knox) that has bees erected preventing vehicle access to crown land further in.

According to one of the neighboring property owners is that the land is part of the Sydney water catchment area and due to irresponsible people misusing and abusing the property by cutting fences and circle work allowing cattle to leave the property, both the owner and Sydney Water jointly funded the Fort Knox fencing..

There is however another asses point to the crown land, that being approximately 1010 meters from the end of the timber bridge (east bound) from Oallen to the gateway on the RHS, just past the existing and locked gates.

Now this unlocked gate is crown land access which can not be locked and looking from the gate it is somewhat overgrown with small knee height scrub. Not sure if it gets better or worse beyond the gate, would suggest those with higher 4x4 vehicles would have no problem but for those in smaller vehicles they may end up with some "bush pin stripping" until the track is improved due to use.

Please remember that this information was via a nearby local resident, which seem to know a great deal about the event and therefor I assume to be accurate.

well done Arwon, Great detective work. Thanks for the efort mate. I hope the bloke that rocked up when I was out there last Saturday dosnt here this bit of info. He was complaining to me that he was pissed off because he could not get his dredging gear in there !!!!!!

All of the above sounds about right. But there are working mining leases over that side of the river (ML's not EL's).
While you can fossick an EL so long as it is in a declared fossicking area, you would need permission from the ML holder.
So just be careful, while it may be crown land you should have permission to be digging over there 8.(

White is crown land boundrys, tan is the ML's

So I gather it's still o.k. to run the High Banker at the usual spot where everybody goes next to the bridge etc? It would be a shame to lose Oallen Forde.

AngusKeene said:
So I gather it's still o.k. to run the High Banker at the usual spot where everybody goes next to the bridge etc? It would be a shame to lose Oallen Forde.

Agreed Angus, Oallen Forde is the location I was thinking.

I live only two hours from there and like the spot. I don't know anywhere else that is that close enough to me for a day trip :(
Everything else, eg: Bathurst etc is at least a weekend trip with the distance I would need to travel, I don't mind, but the misses wants me home for at least some of the weekend lol.......

Does anyone have any spots in or around southern side of Sydney?? From what I can see there is not much at all :(