Nundle Panning & Sluicing day trip Jan 2017

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhbutch

John
Reaction score
I thought I would post up my latest trip out to Nundle, I headed up with a mate just for the day to have some fun and try out the new Sluice with the Dream Mat installed.

I have to say I'm very impressed, even with my limited knowledge on how easy the dream mat caught gold, cleaned up and how few cons there where left per bucket of material I feed it.

My mate and myself set up at a spot on the Peel River in the morning with a sluice each and no sooner had we set up then another Gentlemen did as well, we introduced ourselves and he did the same his name was Frank and has been living in Nundle for the past 20 years. Frank if you read this thanks for the tips and the kind words of advice, much appreciated. So we dug out some material and chatted with Frank and stuffed about for a bit, Frank gave me some top pointers on panning and a little demo :) for a newbie like me it was great.

We took a break for lunch then got back into having some fun and trying to work out where all that gold was. Frank had to head off home a little after lunch but we thanked him again as he was a top bloke and was happy to share some knowledge.

So we got back into it and put another bucket each through our sluices hoping for some gold. Next to turn up was Ray :) another top bloke he had been staying in Nundle to explore the area and was panning and sluicing today the same as us. Ray thanks for your tips mate if your reading this Ray spoke about ways on how to setup a sluice and some good ideas to modify them.

So the day was getting on and we had a two hour drive ahead of us we decide to pack up but not before we both filled our buckets with some dirt to play with it at home.

This is my result from just over 4 hours of learning to work a sluice and a pan, I think I put through about 4 buckets into the sluice. Yes I was there for a little longer than that but I chatted to Frank and Ray so I didn't count that time ;) a couple of pickers the rest is as you see it. My mate also got around the same amount he was happy as it was only his second time out.

1485506665_img_1218.jpg

All in all it was a top day out, met some really great people learnt a thing or two and enjoyed the sunshine a big win if you ask me :D .

Thanks 7.62marksman, I am quite new at this game and have enjoyed myself every time I've gone out so far.

I have met some really great people and found a little bit or two every time, so regardless if I don't find the biggest nugget in the world (I would like to) I'm still having fun and that was the main reason I took this up so I could get out of the house and explore a bit with the family.

getting a bit every time you go out is good
i look at it this way its a fun hobby and a way to meet people so when i go out and get nothing it doesn't worry me (well not much)
when i start to get angry because i find nothing then its time to give it up it because then its not a hobby

you will enjoy it and there are a lot of nice people on here like yesterday when i was coming home i was so tied i stopped on the side of the road for a bit and one of the blokes stopped to see if i was ok he said he recognized the turtle now that is what good people do in my books

so enjoy it don't let it rule you

Latest posts