Nundle NSW information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm heading to Chaffey Dam up at Nundle in January 2013 with the Dubbo prospecting, fossicking and camping club and can't wait to meet up with Brian and the gang. I've been to Nundle twice now and its a fantastic place to visit. The people seem friendly enough, the pub puts on a great feed and theres cheap motel directly across from the pub if youre not into roughing it. I havent found any gold up there yet but I'm hoping that will all change in January.

If anyone is interested in tagging along on the January trip let me know and I'll put some details up. If you cant make the January trip don't panic as I'm going to organise a few trips in the new year which everyone will be invited to.

And If you know of any must see places in Nundle feel free to post them here.

I 'de love to but the missus has plans, going up to Deep Creek for new years and then back home for a hospital visit for one of the kids then of again to Dunns Swamp for a while.

Nugget have a good time at Nundle. There is a good display of rocks etc in the caravan park.
Will not be heading that way till 22 February. That is where I hope to be unless the trip is cancelled.

Unfortunately I was unable to go this time around but hope to get out there very soon. It's a great little town.

Did you end up going Pete?

Hello

I note that a few people have mentioned that they visit Nundle. I understand the Gold is very fine there. Has anyone had any success detecting in that area and what detector did they use.

No luck there for me after recent weeks stay----plenty. Of rusty cans,horseshoes & other crap.

Pete

I've used my AT Gold at Nundle a couple of times without much success, found plenty of relics and old timers junk though. I believe there's still some nice sized nuggets to be found up hanging rock way, but you'd have to be adventurous to find them as the landscape is quite rugged.

I've recently heard of some decent size nuggets being found up in the pine forest, so that might be a good place to try out.

Nugget.

My guess would be anywhere near the river will be fine ish gold but I have seen people get some small pickers but its mostly fine alluvial stuff. As the guys say I would be trying up in the hills a bit. I am keen to detect the old workings up from bowling alley for relics and stuff. They say theres sapphires up in the pine forrest too.

Nothing,zilch,
The Peel river is very low & after panning @ locations within the designated fossicking areas & having no luck it may be worthwhile waiting until some good rainfall brings down some alluvial stuff from up the valleys.
It makes the "hills of gold" seem like bullshit when so much river front is tied up in private property.----no we did not lock horns with Mr Fullbrook.
Took a track that runs below Hanging Rock to where the road fords the small creek.panned that creek with no luck.
At the bridge that crosses the Peel at Bowling alley point there has been a bulldozer earthmoving among the old workings.
Here we filled 2 0 ltr buckets to pan at home .------nothing.!!
However the Chaffey Dam campground was excellent as always

Yeah it's slim pickings at Nundle, the Chinese didn't miss much did they :mad:

I've seen gold pulled from the Peel but you need to process a lot of material to get anything worth writing home about. Unfortunately up in them hills doesn't get much better, although I'm still hopeful of finding the big one someday :lol:

I wouldn't bother with the "designated" fossicking areas as they've been flogged out a million times over. I understand that you can follow the creek up or down from these areas without breaking any laws. My advice would be to travel the creek, test panning until you start to find colour in your pan.

I'm hoping to get back there soon but I've just got a few things to sort out first. I'll let you when I do.

Have you camped at Sheba Dam? It's my favorite place.

Hi all,
I'm heading to Nundle this week for our families first ever fossicking trip. I must say I'm a little concerned now, but we ll push on none the less. Has anyone ever heard of gold in the watagan mountains? I was talking to an old timer who swears there was prospectors around up there when he was a boy, however we were both 2 parts cut when we were talking, so who knows.
Cheers Box

Hey Boxier, there is still plenty of good gold up at nundle so go and give it a try. You never know, plus you can find sapphires, crystals and garnets up there. Stop in at the tourist info and get a free map. Me and my brother are going up tomoz and hopefully we will find some of that good yella stuff. I'm from around east Maitland way but I haven't heard of anything at the watagans but you never know! :)

Not sure if many people know it but its like 5 mt from the bank on any river
Is marked public land. You can't own a riverbank. Not in australia anyway.
Not super sure on it as ive never seen it in writing but that what we were always taught.

Good to know :)
I'm in the middle of planning a trip for the long weekend, I was thinking of nundle but now I'm not so keen...

Looks like shoalhaven or Bathurst now....

Nugget &. Ramjet.

Please let me know if you are going up to Nundle as I would like to join you if possible.
Yes Sheba is a beaut spot also thought near the ford on the track under Hanging Rock,where I took a couple of 20 lire buckets of classified stuff to bring home as I felt sure I would get some colour, but alas nothing.
It is a nice quiet spot where no one would know you were in there. I'm not sure wether its private or not.
There is a structure further down the valley & my guess its a mine still working but I' m not sure as there was a locked gate & keep out sign were I think the access to the mine is.
You can see a couple of corrugated iron roofs from the higher track.

I'd say you were near the rip and tear mine which is still in operation, there's a guy that lives in a shack somewhere around that area and he doesn't like visitors much (so I've been told).

I hope to have a Prospecting Australia camping and fossicking trip organised for Nundle very soon and I'll be posting some more details about it sometime next week.

Nugget, the old guys name is Keith Noon I know him well he is a very nice guy, however, he has had a lot of intruders do a lot of damage over the years trying to rip him off so you can't blame him for being cautious. He has to earn a living like the rest of us and there's not a lot of gold per ton these days.

He runs a old long sluice and his water pump is driven by an old stationary steam engine, in his early life he worked as a blacksmiths striker. Cheers John.

Latest posts