NSW Sunny Corner outing week of Monday 16 October 2017

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah well that didn't go so well...probably my newbie technique....

I marked up 21 MinView "gold found at this location" spots on the 1:25K Topo of Portland and got to all but 6 in the 4by over a day and a half with an overnight camp on top of Blackbutt Mountain so to get phone coverage for the Missus.

"Yes Honey it's safe, back tomorrow, kisses...."....gotta keep brownie points in the account....

The 6 sites I couldn't reach were either obliterated by dense Forest or in areas of active tree felling trucks so too busy to get to.

My technique was detecting the old sites and any quartz outcrops.....but found only remnents of old machinery and .22 lead.
Seems the creeeks and alluvial panning is the better way to go.

On the positive side I had a great outing and saw fascinating remnants of a by-gone era.

Faves were to see (along Sunny Corner Creek) remaining bits of 'aquaduct' walls probably made by Chinese to carry water along the creek side to the workings.
I read up and found the Chinese were very good at laying accurate water systems using a spoon and string as a level!
Plus some massive old boilers and pipes with lots of melted rock (type?) and green copper residue.

As he said in the movie "I'll be back!"

Cheers all
Dave

I wonder if some of what you saw was reminents of Torbanite mining? Plenty of it in the general area.
I am aware of at least one diamond mine there as well.

Great place Sunny Corner

Bear

Sounds like you had a good trip old dog.
I recon once the logging activity dies down in an area where there were historic diggings before they might be well worth another trip.
Nice cleared bush land to detect ..
Creeks and gullies would also be a good place to target with a detector and a pan ..

Latest posts