NSW rain/floods 2022

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How smart are these people? If you read what is written there "there are markers on the power poles around town showing the level of the 1974 flood". Now in my way of thinking this is a marker saying "if you live here or build your business here you are going to go under flood water". It's no good grumbling now when the signs have been there on public display for the last 38 years.

It's the same every where money box ,they just keep rebuilding after each event

i was surprised with houses that where fully submerged in 2013 floods here that they re built them ,and how quick they where bought after going on the market

i can't work that one out

sand surfer said:
It's the same every where money box ,they just keep rebuilding after each event

i was surprised with houses that where fully submerged in 2013 floods here that they re built them ,and how quick they where bought after going on the market

i can't work that one out

:money: :money: :money: Common sense goes out the window. If the shire was doing their job there would be no residential building approvals for these areas.

if the council here where doing their job mb ,it would have to go into the history books :lol: :lol: don't recall seeing that happen for a long time

they are ranting and and raving about building a levy bank to protect the south side of the river ,which will flood the north side even more
the council keep saying that the levy bank is the best option ,but when asked to put the evidence on the table nothing appears there ,this has been going on since the 2013 flood, mb the whole levy bank is all bull :poop:

and the reason why

when you have a major shopping centre in town that is owned by the super fund of all the councils (and it is prone to flooding) it stands to reason why they don't give a :poop: about the people on the north side ,trying to protect their own interest's

and the council over the years have expanded the built up area on the north side (3/4 of the north side is flood pain)

:money: talks

Some councils are dodgy hey, maybe those councillors need to show if they have a personal material interest in that shopping centre at all sandsurfer :perfect:

I got a call today from the Moreton Bay council asking if I needed any help 4 days after the flood.
I said all good mate its already sorted. :lol: :lol: :lol: :beer: :lol: :p

Don't know if it's Councils, dumb builders or dumb house buyers, in many flood prone areas all you have to do is look at the old houses, all built high to clear the floods.

So builders go and build 'slab on ground' houses, Councils approve them and punters buy them, then they winge when they get wet. :awful: At some point someone has to be held accountable and it has to start with the Councils.

Okay, 1 in 500yr is a bit unusual, and my heart goes out to the Lismore folks.

There's a chart for Lismore floods and I can't copy it or get a direct link ,
It showed since 1870 till now and these figures are from memory
Over 9 meters is major floods and there's been 30? in that time,
Anything over 3? Or 5? Was around 100 times.

In my opinion with that pattern everyone should live in house boats.

Dihusky said:
Don't know if it's Councils, dumb builders or dumb house buyers, in many flood prone areas all you have to do is look at the old houses, all built high to clear the floods.

So builders go and build 'slab on ground' houses, Councils approve them and punters buy them, then they winge when they get wet. :awful: At some point someone has to be held accountable and it has to start with the Councils.

Okay, 1 in 500yr is a bit unusual, and my heart goes out to the Lismore folks.
Our house and every house in the street was built above the flood level 40 years ago.
Then the council raised the flood level last year. :(

Schmokey, glad to see you are ok.
When we continue to change the shape of rivers by building on them, excavating them etc. something has to give. The new buildings, restaurants on the Brisbane River are again under water. Why would you do it?
Mackka
Thoughts and prayers for all affected by these floods.

silver said:
Some councils are dodgy hey, maybe those councillors need to show if they have a personal material interest in that shopping centre at all sandsurfer :perfect:

it is the one that all council workers and elected members of all councils have their compulsory super paid into it silver

if the super fund is anything like mine silver ,who knows who owns it ,mine has change ownership 3 times in 4 years, there is another change over happening at the moment makes it hard to keep track of it ]:D

Let prospectors access to the river banks in future so councils can continue to build :bomb: :rainbow:

Latest posts