Non gold project

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowflow

Barry
Reaction score
I'm building a bow press and would like an acme type rod & nut 16mm, 600 long but am having difficulty finding it locally. Google is not being friendly. Any help is appreciated.

Barry

slowflow said:
I'm building a bow press and would like an acme type rod & nut 16mm, 600 long but am having difficulty finding it locally. Google is not being friendly. Any help is appreciated.

Barry
Threaded rod?

I was thinking that. :)
Square thread or pitched < ???
.?
Hi Mate, Long Time no see.
How much pressure are you wishing to generate. ???

You can get cheap and simple "all thread" of 600mm lengths, at several hardware stores, but I don't recall seeing anything as large as 16mm, definitely 12mm. Not square thread of course, but may suffice until the right thing comes along.

Also what about the screw assembly from one of those Scissor style jacks?

Rob.

Hey slowflow,

I have built a couple of bow presses in my time. the first one was a solid unit with arms on it kinda shaped like a big U. In the bottom beam I mounted a turnbuckle with a fabric strap to pull down on the riser...worked a treat.

I left it somewhere so I ended up building another. This time it is similar to the more portable ones you can buy. Hooks that latch on to the ends of the limbs connected with a wire rope passing through a tensioning device in the middle to take up the strain. It has a 5/8 UNF thread which makes compressing my 70lb bow no problemo , will post a pic of that one tonight if you like.

100lb.... :eek:
What are you trying to string...and english long bow?

MJB
Just a guess at pressure + a safety margin.
My bows only run 60 but my sons 70 and a bit.(5 bows total)
Making a ezypress copy.to cover up to 36 ata.

wow...5 bows would definitely keep you busy.

Here is my bow press..
1433322602_h3080001_640x480.jpg

1433322640_h3080003_640x480.jpg

A 5/8th UNF thread will allow for easier turning than a large course thread. A little heat shrink around the ends to protect the limbs and the thing works a treat. And don't laugh at my bow, its a Martin Phantom about 15years old but it still shoots straight :D

Although not the most portable of devices, a modded hi-lift jack would be the biz for 600mm of movement. Quick, easy, and dual purpose too.

Thanks for the replies.
Ordered the one Doug found.

Seems you can get everything easily in the USA but post kills it.
Making something like this.

1433474917_ezpressd1.jpg

Latest posts