NF Evolution and coiltek elite false signals

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, i have just got myself a NF 17x13 evo took it out for a couple of hours in my usual spot, I found it gives me heaps of false signals, Same thing happens with my 14inch elite. Just thought I would get some options on settings for these coils on my new 4500. I usually run on the front cap, general, enhance, fixed and mono. Rear cap, vol limit 13, motion slow, rx gain 9, audio quiet, tone 50, stab 8, signal 17, target vol 10. It's Maybe just the real hot ground I'm in, but I don't want to dumb down the detector to much if possible. Cheers Liam

Hi mate i pretty much run the same settings using the 15" evo on the 5000, but alter the rx and stab when the ground permits. I'm still a newbie myself, but I'm guessing the red hot ground is giving you those false signals. Wet ground and the likes of charcoal will also tend to give you falae signalls. From my experience, over time you'll start to be able to distinguish between false signals and targets. Rule of thumb, it's always ideal to investigate all signals....even if it doesn't sound like gold. Hope that helps. :Y:

Cheers Noogle, maybe it's just the sensitivity of these new coils that I'm not used to. Been running the 11 inch commander with very few false signals.

Do a factory reset and then set up from there ..................... worked for me Thanks to info from a learned colleague :Y:

The 11" commander is an awesome coil....had it glued to the 5000 for almost a year. For me, the new evo has taken some time to get used to....and like you said it is more sensitive when compared to the 11". Also, its just an idea, but I always carry a small nugget with me and wave the coil I'm using over it...just to remind me of what gold may sound like ( what the coil is telling me).

I agree the 11"commander is great, i have found most of my gold with it. I do carry a small nugget with me and put it in the ground, it helps getting my ears tuned to the sound of gold.

Liam what state are you in how old is the 4500 I run much the same except for audio normal deep on the front and inverted I have no troubles with the evo coils regards john :Y:

Not doing much wrong, you probably just need to drop your Rx Gain. You're in hot soil with a sensitive coil, so get your Rx down to 6 till you get used to the coil. On Gain 6 and Stab 8, you prob don't need to be in Quiet, so go back to Normal

I've been detecting for near a year, still learning. Been finding a little bits here and there also found a 16 gram nugget. Probably just a case of getting used to the new coils and adjusting to suit conditions. Will try to lower gain and put normal audio on. Thanks for the replys guys.

Good old red clay domes, charcoal, and tree roots. ....dug a few with the elite....not much help except to say I've been there too....

Foal8686
Would you please explain your false signals in more detail and I'm sure I and others can advise better. There all sorts of situations to give false signals. We need more detail of your specific experiences to narrow down your issues and help explain what you're experiencing. Cheers

Just for some more info, the spot I usually go generally has little emi. I have found where the false signals happen there is a fair bit of ironstone. When it happens I think I'm on to a good piece of gold then I start digging and the signal reduces in loudness then disappears altogether, and sometimes when I run the coil over the dug out dirt I still get slight signal in multiple spots. I will try to lower the gain next time I'm there to try and combat this problem.

What you are experiencing is normal, and a very common occurrence in the Vic GT, and more so with the new flat wind super sensitive coils. I also find it worse in wet ground. Highly mineralised pockets of ground can sound off very loud just like it's a metal target. It typically is a broader sound. You just have to start digging because it could be a large deep target which would also give a loud broad sound. The trick to deciding whether it is a real target or not, which I was taught by more experienced detectorists than me, is to keep your coil at ground level and if the signal reduces its most likely to be ground noise. If you put your detector in the hole it can still sound off. I've continued to dig many a deep hole not trusting this advice. Plus, if the soil you're digging out is is also sounding off that is a definite sign of ground noise, unless of course there is a target or targets in the dug out soil. Plus if the signal triggers at the edge of the hole and as the hole widens the trigger moves with the widening edge you can be sure it's ground noise. An important thing to do is constantly ground balance around the hole. However, it is my experience that if it is a small very localised patch of mineralised ground, ground balancing around the hole may not cancel out the noisy ground in the hole.
A thing I remember is that a real target close to the coil is much sharper than the broad signal of ground noise. You have to train yourself to listen for that distinction.
It's a frustrating reality.

Thanks guys for the info and advice, I went out this morning for a couple of hours with the 17x13 Evo, put there gain down to 8 stabiliser at 9, and found it a lot better for ground noise and hot rocks. Just have to get familiar with new settings for the more sensitive coils. I also tried normal vs quiet audio, found quiet audio best in the real hot ground I'm in. Also been using the steel phase enhancer, gives great sound, happy with the enhancer, just have to find some gold with it now. ?

Latest posts