NF 15 Evo Noisy On GPX4500.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had this coil for little over a year now and used it a dozen times but wow do I struggle with this coil coming from a 11 commander. No matter what settings I try even lowering rx gain below 8 sometimes I can never get it to run smooth. Either giving me constant false sounds or emi like a siren. Same thing with pinpointing. Takes me 4x as long than with the 11 commander. Can confidently say the commander is going back on for a while.

Is the Commander mono or DD? If Mono, then EMI with the 15" Evo should be on par with the 11" Commander, maybe a fraction worse.
If it's a DD, then that will always be less affected by EMI than a larger mono.

Ground noise should be about the same, only slightly worse if the ground is saturated.
Yes, not as easy to pin-point targets with, but that's really the same as any big vs small coil.

Make sure front switch is in Enhance, ground balance, and you should have very minimal ground response.

I run a12 inch evo and also find it difficult to pinpoint targets. I used to run a 8 inch commader and could pinpoint almost straight away,but in saying this the coil has found alot of gold i have previously done with the 8 inch seems to be always a trade off in some way.Good luck deciding which way to go .cheers Goinbush

I love my 15 Evo, smooth as in Enhance and Rx9, Stabilizer 8. I detect in the Vic GT too, and you must run enhance unless you have mild ground.
Make sure its plugged in correctly and the cable is wrapped around the shaft and not flapping around or getting bumped.
Make sure you do an auto tune before using.

G'day

I believe that there are two versions of the Gpx 4500, the original from around 2007/2008 and the later release one around 2018, the older version is the one I have, I found in my own experience that the nugget finder evolution coils tended to be a bit noisy on it, I mainly used the 12" round, and tried the 15" round as well, but I much preferred the minelab Commander 11" as it ran better and more smoothly with less falsing than the evo coils would, my mate uses the later version of the 4500 which is from what I was told from someone in the know, said the later ones have the 5000 circuit boards with a couple of timings disabled to match the original 4500 menu set up.

Also I have found that the coiltek elite coils are better on the early 4500, as I have tried the 14" round camo mono and also I have bought and currently use the 9" round elite camo mono and found them to run very well on it, better than the nuggetfinder evo ones did, but having said that I have some of the nuggetfinder SL light grey mono coils the older version that were about before the dark grey advantage ones came out, and they will run a lot better on the older 4500 than they do on the later 4500 and also the 5000, so from what I can tell there are differences between the machines for sure.

cheers

stayyerAU

VicGoldHunter said:
Had this coil for little over a year now and used it a dozen times but wow do I struggle with this coil coming from a 11 commander. No matter what settings I try even lowering rx gain below 8 sometimes I can never get it to run smooth. Either giving me constant false sounds or emi like a siren. Same thing with pinpointing. Takes me 4x as long than with the 11 commander. Can confidently say the commander is going back on for a while.

If your detector is sounding off when your coil touches something ie rocks etc....check your connections....clean out your skid plate and if it's still falsing get in contact with th dealer you purchased it from as it would most likely be a dicky coil.

StayyerAU, I run an early original 4500 and all Evo's run great on it. I have thinned out the collection to 4 which I think give me the best spread in performance. 12x8, 12", 17x13 and 19".

I have heard that the early SLs were good but I have tried two 16" rounds and they were both duds. One had a very touchy cable and the other just wouldn't ground balance. (Note to self - don't buy old second hand coils) The 15" Evo basically killed them except for the weight haha. Would like to try one that's working correctly.

Talking about differences, the biggest thing I've noticed is on the 5000 and 19" Evo it actually ran a lot better in Fine Gold, which you normally expect Enhance to be better on a big coil. Enhance seemed to lose a bit of grunt. But on my 4500, the same coil just loves Enhance. Also, 12" Evo on the 4500 is noticeably brighter in DD on the coil switch, where on the 5000 Mono or DD didn't make much difference. Lots of little subtleties in the GPXs which is why I still love them.

Have you considered it could be faulty? The best way to check is let someone test it on their 5000 - sure there are plenty here who would help. Also, consider that the detector itself may have a problem the only shows when using the NF. I know as a part of servicing older circuit boards, I use to change capacitors for new, better quality ones - made a world of difference. Detector Mods (Woody) does this before any modifications to get the machines back to new... either way, I think getting it all checked out asap is a good idea as you could be losing good gold. I found on my 5000 the NF Advantage were awesome, but had to do more "tuning" for the Evolution range because they were more sensitive and a different type of winding.

PhaseTech said:
StayyerAU, I run an early original 4500 and all Evo's run great on it. I have thinned out the collection to 4 which I think give me the best spread in performance. 12x8, 12", 17x13 and 19".

I have heard that the early SLs were good but I have tried two 16" rounds and they were both duds. One had a very touchy cable and the other just wouldn't ground balance. (Note to self - don't buy old second hand coils) The 15" Evo basically killed them except for the weight haha. Would like to try one that's working correctly.

Talking about differences, the biggest thing I've noticed is on the 5000 and 19" Evo it actually ran a lot better in Fine Gold, which you normally expect Enhance to be better on a big coil. Enhance seemed to lose a bit of grunt. But on my 4500, the same coil just loves Enhance. Also, 12" Evo on the 4500 is noticeably brighter in DD on the coil switch, where on the 5000 Mono or DD didn't make much difference. Lots of little subtleties in the GPXs which is why I still love them.

G'day Phase Tech

What I found running the evo coils on my 4500 may have just been peculiar to my 4500 and also I am detecting WA ground as well so there might be differences in that too, I mostly use mine in enhance, I have the 14" nf sl mono which I use a lot, I bought it to try out off a mate who was at the time running a gpx5000 and he said it was way too noisy on that?, but it runs as sweet as on my 4500, also there seems to be subtle differences even between the same model detectors so I have always experimented with various coils without bias until I settle in several that will find the gold for me, if I don't get a long with a particular coil then I will trial something else until I am happy with the results, I also have the 10" sl round mono (rare) 16" sl mono and 20" sl mono all of which were bought second hand and all work as they should.

Its a bit of a blanket statement to say that the evo coils have killed them, when I know for a fact and the evo coils are very good on some detectors they are also not so good on others as I found out for myself, the weight of a coil is also very high on my priority when choosing a coil along with quiet operation, as if you are operating a noisy twitchy coil you will be missing targets, that's the very reason I have started to use the coiltek elite coils a bit as well.

cheers

stayyerAU

StayyerAU said:
PhaseTech said:

G'day Phase Tech

What I found running the evo coils on my 4500 may have just been peculiar to my 4500 and also I am detecting WA ground as well so there might be differences in that too, I mostly use mine in enhance, I have the 14" nf sl mono which I use a lot, I bought it to try out off a mate who was at the time running a gpx5000 and he said it was way too noisy on that?, but it runs as sweet as on my 4500, also there seems to be subtle differences even between the same model detectors so I have always experimented with various coils without bias until I settle in several that will find the gold for me, if I don't get a long with a particular coil then I will trial something else until I am happy with the results, I also have the 10" sl round mono (rare) 16" sl mono and 20" sl mono all of which were bought second hand and all work as they should.

Its a bit of a blanket statement to say that the evo coils have killed them, when I know for a fact and the evo coils are very good on some detectors they are also not so good on others as I found out for myself, the weight of a coil is also very high on my priority when choosing a coil along with quiet operation, as if you are operating a noisy twitchy coil you will be missing targets, that's the very reason I have started to use the coiltek elite coils a bit as well.

cheers

stayyerAU

I don't doubt the SL coils are good, all I'm saying is the two I tried were not, and my 15" Evo killed the two 16" ones that I bought and tried. I know the SLs were wound to be more sensitive than normal coils, but not as sensitive as the flat winds, so stands to reason they should be a little more forgiving in bad ground. If I can find someone selling some locally so I can test before buying, I'd be keen to do so.

I found my evo runs best with low stabiliser any other coil I have I normally run my stabiliser a few numbers back from my rx gain but my evo runs best with stabiliser around 4 and rx can normally run pretty high the evo runs smoothly out performs all my other coils and Ive never felt that having low stabiliser effects its performance in any way

Same here, usually run my 15 evo with RX 12 and Stab 6, runs very stable and retains sensitivity as well as good depth :Y:

Sounds like you have a dud coil,Im running a 15 nf solid on my 4500 and use nothing else. In enhance and adjust to suit the ground.I can always dig hot rocks after 11 am ( NQ) if I dont crank it down but by then its stubbioclock!

It could very well be in running rx and stab way to high. Looking back Ive had rx gain around 8-9 and Stab usually well above 10. Ill try to dial it right back and let you guys know how it goes. Was losing my mind a couple days ago thought I was in the hottest ground Id come across, signals left right and center. Turns out I was running normal....

Latest posts