Hi Everyone

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’d like to say g’day and say we’re keen to live the dream of finding a few nuggets in our retirement. My Dad used to take me panning as a child and then fossicking for opal as a teenager up Lightning Ridge so I’ve now got the time to take up again with trusty pans and detector in hand.
I have my Garrett ATX (now 8yrs old) and hubby has a Equinox 800 so we’re headed to the triangle for a few weeks to try our luck and to enjoy the bush so our hopes are not dashed as the fever will hit as soon as I get there. We’ll grab those detecting maps when we arrive to help guide us and your forum has been very helpful too. Most of all we will have a great time.
Good luck to you all in finding the big one!

Good luck there Nuggety, we're all looking for the big one but hopefully we'll get one each. I started out with the Garrett ATX and found some nice gold but I couldn't get the tiny stuff so eventually swapped to Minelab. I saw a story on here recently where a group went out all but one with Minelabs and until the last they all came back with more gold. Right at the end of the trip the guy with the ATX trumped them all with the big one :cool:

Good luck there Nuggety, we're all looking for the big one but hopefully we'll get one each. I started out with the Garrett ATX and found some nice gold but I couldn't get the tiny stuff so eventually swapped to Minelab. I saw a story on here recently where a group went out all but one with Minelabs and until the last they all came back with more gold. Right at the end of the trip the guy with the ATX trumped them all with the big one :cool:
Ha! Gotta love that!

I‘m still searching for my elusive first one, let alone the big one. I guess any will be the big one when I finally find something.

Set off to "live the dream" for 2-3 years that was back in 2011 STILL GOING!
Bought a GPX 5000 when I set off & in 2015 bought a GPZ7000 & ditched the 5.

Seriously if you want to find the gold you're walking over ditch both of those machines (I own an Equinox 800 too awesome in parks and beaches & that's where it stops) & upgrade to the Gpx6000 light easy to use and will find gold.
As for the Garrett as a gold machine in Australia - put it in front of your truck & run over it!
Seen a mate (in September last year) with a brand new ATX detect a gully in QLD got to the top and didn't find 1 bit, another mate was following him up the gully with a Z 7000 and at the top showed several nuggets for a total of 16g. ATX owner was offered a swing of the 7000 he got 8 metres and pinged a nugget the ATX couldn't pick it.
So 2 weeks after wasting $4,500 on the ATX that a Garrett rep had told him would out perform the Sdc2300 he was going to buy, he bought my 7000 with a nugget finder Z Search and ended his last few weeks of last season with over 2 ounces & the Garrett has not seen the light of day since.

Anyone want to buy a Garrett ATX, used for 2 weeks 10hrs a day, found 1 bit of gold, cost $4,500 I'll get him to call you and he'll probably be happy to get $2,500 (probably take 2) even though he knows it's not worth it!

Living the dream & prospecting for a few months each year is awesome & I totaled 9oz last year but you've got to ask yourself "do you want to find gold or just go for a walk in the bush"? Walking in the bush is easy & fun, finding gold is a bit more challenging.

Hi Nuggety60.
Welcome to the forum and to the highs and lows of gold prospecting.
Gather that you are entering the best years of your life and maybe have a few bob to spend on making sure that happens.
The late great John Kennedy, coach of Hawthorn in its first premiership year, told his players heading into the last quarter of a grand final, that if they wanted success they had to "pay the price"
To be sure you will need the best you can afford and the two detectors you mention are not in that class and will almost surely bring disappointment.
You would obviously want two detectors so looking at affordable options I would suggest a 2300 for its ability to pick up small gold in most places and a versatile 5000 with a selection of coils. You should be able to pick up both second hand for a total of approximately $7000.
A single 6000 would cost that on its own, but with two capable detectors on the ground your chances of success (and the learning that it provides) will be much increased.

Set off to "live the dream" for 2-3 years that was back in 2011 STILL GOING!
Bought a GPX 5000 when I set off & in 2015 bought a GPZ7000 & ditched the 5.

Seriously if you want to find the gold you're walking over ditch both of those machines (I own an Equinox 800 too awesome in parks and beaches & that's where it stops) & upgrade to the Gpx6000 light easy to use and will find gold.
As for the Garrett as a gold machine in Australia - put it in front of your truck & run over it!
Seen a mate (in September last year) with a brand new ATX detect a gully in QLD got to the top and didn't find 1 bit, another mate was following him up the gully with a Z 7000 and at the top showed several nuggets for a total of 16g. ATX owner was offered a swing of the 7000 he got 8 metres and pinged a nugget the ATX couldn't pick it.
So 2 weeks after wasting $4,500 on the ATX that a Garrett rep had told him would out perform the Sdc2300 he was going to buy, he bought my 7000 with a nugget finder Z Search and ended his last few weeks of last season with over 2 ounces & the Garrett has not seen the light of day since.

Anyone want to buy a Garrett ATX, used for 2 weeks 10hrs a day, found 1 bit of gold, cost $4,500 I'll get him to call you and he'll probably be happy to get $2,500 (probably take 2) even though he knows it's not worth it!

Living the dream & prospecting for a few months each year is awesome & I totaled 9oz last year but you've got to ask yourself "do you want to find gold or just go for a walk in the bush"? Walking in the bush is easy & fun, finding gold is a bit more challenging.
Thanks for the advice, I can't afford another detector now as I just bought a lighter and cheaper Gold Monster to try and see how I go in shallower ground.

Hi Nuggety60.
Welcome to the forum and to the highs and lows of gold prospecting.
Gather that you are entering the best years of your life and maybe have a few bob to spend on making sure that happens.
The late great John Kennedy, coach of Hawthorn in its first premiership year, told his players heading into the last quarter of a grand final, that if they wanted success they had to "pay the price"
To be sure you will need the best you can afford and the two detectors you mention are not in that class and will almost surely bring disappointment.
You would obviously want two detectors so looking at affordable options I would suggest a 2300 for its ability to pick up small gold in most places and a versatile 5000 with a selection of coils. You should be able to pick up both second hand for a total of approximately $7000.
A single 6000 would cost that on its own, but with two capable detectors on the ground your chances of success (and the learning that it provides) will be much increased.
Thanks for that good advice - will start saving up the pennies to invest in them. I understand Miners Den and a few other places sell second hand detectors.

Latest posts