Newbie from Tasmania

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, moved to Tasmania three years ago, my son got his prospecting licence two months ago. I get to do the fun bits, you know research, find out how to do things, and he (son) gets to go out and look for the goodies. He got a tenement to an old gold mine, he has some buckets of sand with what we hope is gold. He's been panning it like there is no tomorrow. But he has hit a snag. The gold and the sand appear to weigh the same. On Friday he will make his own blue bowl, but I have my doubts, because I think it is way too fine, more like powder. But then what do I know I am new to this. What I can say is that I am so pleased to have found this site, oh and apologies for posting before I introduced myself. My name is Gabi and I am the one to look to the internet, make the calls and find the assayers and the buyers should we hit pay dirt, oops sorry pay gold.

Welcome to the forum Gabi. good luck in your adventures ! the MRT site is a wealth of information for Tassie and the forum members are very helpful ,

hey casandgabcan welcome to the site

i would try building a concentrator using finme ribbed matting and very low flow water you should be able to separate fine gold with that, ive seen it done with the finest crushed rock.

Welcome to the forum Gabi. Your son sounds like he has an extremely good manager and master researcher working for him. I hope your contract is set in concrete for when the safe starts filling with gold. Great to see his enthusiasm and hope the hobby keeps his interests high.

You'll find the forum a great asset with the research as it's a friendly bunch of members that share this prospecting bug. Best of luck out there and feel free to get involved with the posts.

Cheers Wal.

Thank you all. WalnLiz your right I have found members and Moderators a friendly bunch, and full of useful information, was a bit overloaded yesterday, lol. But I will put piccies up to show what we are doing so far, someone might tell us we are on the right track. What I have learnt so far is "there is NO quick way or easy way. Just keep slogging at it.

Hi Gabi,
Another Northern Tasmanian here, sounds like you've got your foot in the door with a lease. That's the hardest part and you're past that so all the best luck for you and your son. I'm going to try for a lease up in the pipers river area but I'm waiting until I get a few more bits of machinery ready first. I'm in with a old bloke who used to have a lease in the area from the late 70's up until about 2005-2006. We have also found very fine flour gold and are facing the same problem as you, concentrating it. There's plenty there just like what you've got just very hard to see. I am also looking to get my samples assayed so if you have much luck would love to hear your results and who did them for you. I got my samples assayed for mineralogy and rock makeup/composition but they didn't have the equipment suitable for gold assaying.
Am keen to hear your results and good luck.
Regards,
Alex.

Hey Alex,
Will keep you posted, we will be trying the blue bowl tomorrow (Sat). Still haven't found anyone for the assaying as yet. No one seems to like to answer emails. Oh well, we will keep trying. Will be posting pictures within a few days, still trying to get them down in size (pictures). Nice to hear from you.

Alex said:
Hi Gabi,
Another Northern Tasmanian here, sounds like you've got your foot in the door with a lease. That's the hardest part and you're past that so all the best luck for you and your son. I'm going to try for a lease up in the pipers river area but I'm waiting until I get a few more bits of machinery ready first. I'm in with a old bloke who used to have a lease in the area from the late 70's up until about 2005-2006. We have also found very fine flour gold and are facing the same problem as you, concentrating it. There's plenty there just like what you've got just very hard to see. I am also looking to get my samples assayed so if you have much luck would love to hear your results and who did them for you. I got my samples assayed for mineralogy and rock makeup/composition but they didn't have the equipment suitable for gold assaying.
Am keen to hear your results and good luck.
Regards,
Alex.

Hi Gabi, welcome to the forum , hope you have some good luck with your venture in Tassie :cool: hope to hear about your findings and see some pictures when you get back. ;)

Googs
Northern Tassie

Hi Gabi,

Welcome to the forum! I'm from Hobart but spend most of my propecting time up notheast. If you're in the Lisle area, there are apparently sapphires in the wash as well, and I hear the only certified rubies to have ever been found in the state came from there. Very interesting area.

Best of luck!

Hi Guys,

New to forum. Good to read some tassie discussions.

I live in the NE not far from lefroy/backcreek gold fields. Recently bought a sdc2300 and looking forward to hitting the gold fields.
I have been to many of the north east fields over last few years so lots of potential grounds to hit.

Ive worked at gold treatment plants such as Beaconsfields, so happy to share the knowledge where i can.

Tas tiga

Hi Tastiga. Welcome to the forum. You have a pretty good modern detector there which is building a good reputation finding the yella. Good luck in your searches and let us know in the forum how you go,
Cheers :lol:

Hi all,

Have been hitting the lefroy, back creek and beaconsfield (outside of lease areas) the last couple of weeks.
Not a great deal of luck however i did however nearly walk over a mighty fine tiger snake though.. he was a monster.

The lefroy area has many areas that havnt been detected so i will keep up the fun and see how things go.

Latest posts