New Years fireworks

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know this may be a bit controversial but I think it needs some healthy discussion . Why when we have a total fire ban for most districts tomorrow will some shows still be allowed to happen.?

Have to wonder if one of them started a bushfire if they would cop the same penalties as an arsonist.

Most likely they won't start a fire as its usually the illegal ones that do but ya never know. If I had a camp fire in a properly constructed area and was diligently supervised it most likely wouldn't start one either but the risk is too great so I wouldn't. Just seems like the age old different rules for different folk nugget.

I thought the CFA had revoked fireworks permits in 11 Victorian areas already based on fire danger/risk level i.e. total fire ban? Major ones like Melbourne & Geelong were still going ahead under permit from the CFA. They must have a lower fire risk level?
In NSW fireworks are exempt from total fire bans i.e. still ok but in very bad circumstances I believe the RFS Commissioner can revoke that exemption.

I don't think they'd ever stop the ones in the cities no matter what, I can see there point but?

GaryO said:
Perhaps because they would have a very low chance of starting a bushfire :cool:
Possibly lower but still a chance, i know ive started a grassfire with one before...obv they would take alot more precautions than i would or did but when the idea of 'Total' fire bans is to try and remove the sort of risks that can start a bushfire then shouldnt it be a case of the rules are the rules? I dunno maybe its just because fireworks have never really done much for me other than had me out walking the streets looking for my terrified dog at all hrs.

I guess when I think of new years fireworks I think of the city . I suppose they should treat any in vunerable areas on a case by case basis , particularly if its hot and windy.

GaryO said:
I guess when I think of new years fireworks I think of the city . I suppose they should treat any in vunerable areas on a case by case basis , particularly if its hot and windy.
I think that's why in NSW they are exempt when there's an otherwise total fire ban. Seeing as though, legally, they can only be set off by a licenced pyrotechnics operator I would assume under their licencing they would have guidelines to follow in regards to local conditions, nearby fire hazards, area fire risk/danger & so on. They would no doubt liaise with local RFS, Council etc. also prior to any licenced event.

mbasko said:
GaryO said:
I think that's why in NSW they are exempt when there's an otherwise total fire ban. Seeing as though, legally, they can only be set off by a licenced pyrotechnics operator I would assume under their licencing they would have guidelines to follow in regards to local conditions, nearby fire hazards, area fire risk/danger & so on. They would no doubt liaise with local RFS, Council etc. also prior to any licenced event.

You know everyone can still get a fireworks permit and buy some for small displays, most people just don't know that you can, it's a little more difficult than 10 years ago but can still be done. Damned fun police, I used to love the queens birthday weekend, that was pretty much the start of all our rights being taken away. Won't be able to fart soon without an explosives lisence, workcover training and greenhouse gas emissions credits. :(

http://www.workcover.nsw.gov.au/lic...s/explosives-and-fireworks-licences/fireworks

My mates family used to have a large property down here with bush around 50% of their property, evey cracker night we'd have a huge bonfire and everyone in the neighbourhood went there, pretty much every year the fireys had to come as someone would always set the bush on fire with wayward fireworks.

Fireworks.......ok lets see, to use fire works you must be licensed and apply for a permit no matter what area they are to be used in, the permit is then assessed and approved or not approved, this is the way it is total fire ban day or not.

There would be certain rules that still apply, the same as rockets, there's big punishments if you use them during fire bans. New years would be run by big companies with lots of paperwork. I'd have to go read my bits of paper to see what it sais

I just wonder how the people of Australia survived some 50 years ago. Fireworks, guns, no RBT, no speed limits outside build up areas, smokes and grog did not have a ridiculous tax on it, no car inspections, fish and chips wrapped in yesterday's news paper for 40 cents, coke was a real thing not a sugary water, you could carry a knife on you belt, if you want to call someone a wog or black it was your call and not something against the law, most of young people smoked pot, girls went around without the bra in see thru, the hippies did not told everyone how to live their life's they just ask to be left alone to live as they want, no credit cards and no easy credit, but you could buy a house in Sydney for five thousand bucks, cops had respect from most and if you did not respect them you got kick in the arse, you could dredge for gold, use explosives and carry a gun when prospecting and you could hunt, plenty of jobs around if you wanted one.
How did we survived, half of us should be dead long time ago and other half should be crippled by today's standard.
Karl

KarlS said:
I just wonder how the people of Australia survived some 50 years ago. Fireworks, guns, no RBT, no speed limits outside build up areas, smokes and grog did not have a ridiculous tax on it, no car inspections, fish and chips wrapped in yesterday's news paper for 40 cents, coke was a real thing not a sugary water, you could carry a knife on you belt, if you want to call someone a wog or black it was your call and not something against the law, most of young people smoked pot, girls went around without the bra in see thru, the hippies did not told everyone how to live their life's they just ask to be left alone to live as they want, no credit cards and no easy credit, but you could buy a house in Sydney for five thousand bucks, cops had respect from most and if you did not respect them you got kick in the arse, you could dredge for gold, use explosives and carry a gun when prospecting and you could hunt, plenty of jobs around if you wanted one.
How did we survived, half of us should be dead long time ago and other half should be crippled by today's standard.
Karl
C'mon Karl, It's new years eve mate and you're making me bloody depressed. I was a young teenager 50 years ago and yes times were different and easier going. But my generation, my parents and theirs before them all wanted a 'better' life for the want of another word and with that change and prosperity comes rules and regulations unfortunately.
It's not all bad mate. If you still want you can go 'off grid' a fair bit and be left alone by the man you can from my experience. I try and do it pretty regularly ;)
Have a great new year Karl.

Karl.
well back then the Marlboro ciggy man was on tv, all was ok
the Gov claimed taxes on advertisements for ciggys, all was good.
Now a day they hook the prices of ciggys up like a pimp to a pro.
this is bad, for ciggys was advertised and addicted people to ciggys
now they punish you for what they addicted you to.
Or how many ciggys does it take two equal a tank of petrol in fumes,
and where are the pics you see on ciggy packets that should be on petrol bowsers.

KarlS said:
Karl

Amen to that Karl , ( all except the pot smoking) We have become one of the most over regulated societies in the world apart from good old mother england. I wish I could turn the clock back to 1975.

Cheese said:
Karl.
well back then the Marlboro ciggy man was on tv, all was ok
the Gov claimed taxes on advertisements for ciggys, all was good.
Now a day they hook the prices of ciggys up like a pimp to a pro.
this is bad, for ciggys was advertised and addicted people to ciggys
now they punish you for what they addicted you to.
Or how many ciggys does it take two equal a tank of petrol in fumes,
and where are the pics you see on ciggy packets that should be on petrol bowsers.
And on big fatty cheese burgers ;)

Latest posts