New to this and beginners luck

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi we have always liked the idea of gold prospecting with a metal detector. Waited 20 yrs basically while we saw our kids off starting their lives and saved for the GPX 5000. Went to Maryborough at xmas and lucky enough to find a 6.2gram nugget. Personally we think it was the unluckiest nugget going as it was at the base of a tree right beside another dig and not very deep. Pic attached if it works.
1393132975_6.3gram_nugget.jpg

One question though - we take our old dog with us everywhere as we don't like leaving him in kennels. Do other members take their pets with them, and if so can you recommend any good camping area's in the golden triangle and up around Bathurst / Hillsend?

The information on this forum is excellent and makes you realise there is a life time of learning to be done..so great experienced members are willing to share.

Hi wenz and welcome , nice nugget.
The state forrests up in the bathurst orange mudgee way are free to camp and dogs are ok. Check out state forrests nsw site. Also make sure you check out their fossicking guidlines

mad Mike said:
Hi wenz and welcome , nice nugget.
The state forrests up in the bathurst orange mudgee way are free to camp and dogs are ok. Check out state forrests nsw site. Also make sure you check out their fossicking guidlines

Cheers, thanks Mike... wasn't sure on the rules for the SForrests for dogs. thanks.

Hi Wenz. That's a beautiful first find. Congratulations.
Welcome to PA. Hope you find plenty of good info here to help you with your long awaited hobby :)
Best of luck for your future prospecting.

Cheers

Ramjet

Wenz21 said:
One question though - we take our old dog with us everywhere as we don't like leaving him in kennels. Do other members take their pets with them

g'day
congrats on your nugget, its a beuty for your first bit, well done

If you take your dog, it may pay to go to areas that have no deep mine shafts.
I used to take my dog out all the time and she was great, she would follow me around and lay in my holes I was trying to dig, until I worked out to do a scrape a hole for her to lay in while I dug my target.

anyway one day she was mucking around barking at some crows and followed them up the hill and when I went to find her she was at the bottom of a pretty deep shaft, luckily I had a long rope in the car and managed to lasso her and pull her up. it could have been bad if there was junk in the shaft or was too deep for me to see her.
she now stays at home.

so just be aware of deep shafts if you take your dog.
regards tm

G'day wenz, I like you hit beginners luck in the golden triangle, a good spot to camp is hard hill in wedderburn, there's a couple of guys who extract eucalyptus oil up there. Powered sites available shower toilets only gold coin donation, also the information place will give you a map at where you can fossick around the area, we took our dogs and stayed in pioneer caravan park, lots of prospectors there and really nice managers. Good luck and welcome.

Thanks all for the lovely comments and welcome and advice on camping with dogs. It really is a great forum.

Latest posts