New to prospecting and forum

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, I have been busting for several years now to get involved into prospecting after playing around in the goldfields around Ballarat with a pan many years ago, but no doubt like a lot of people work, family and home seem to dominate so much of our life also living 2 hours from the nearest goldfield does not help. I have been reading several post on this forum and found them to be very supportive and helpful to the aim of chasing the dream. At this stage I do not own a detector but wish to purchase a second hand GPX 5000 and hope this will do as a good starting point? I do understand there is a lot to learn so becoming a member of this forum is paramount to the learning process. Keep up the great work. Fletch

dwt said:
Good onya mate, welcome to PA :)
Cheers there DWT, thanks for the reply. I will need to learn how to drive in this forum now so I can get around. Been reading so much stuff and its great as usual.

Jaros said:
H :p i Fletch welcome to the forum mate.
Thanks Jaros for the welcome and looking forward to contributing when I can, don't know much about several of the topics but have done some panning when my kids were small and found some small bits of gold, that was in the first tem minutes, the second ten minutes the kids started throwing rocks at me from a bridge and saying we want to go home now! Had another crack about two years later in the same spot and took my brother in law, Found a chunk of gold that you could feel the weight of which was a bonus but had nothing to put it in so sat it on a hammer that I had with me, while back panning for more my mate came back and picked up the hammer while my back was turned and you guessed it, gold gone back to the wild. I did buy my kids a $20 detector from Target, when they came asking for money to go to the shop I would send them over to the school over the back fence and they would go through the woodchips under the play equipment and they would come back with sometimes up to $10. The best investment I have ever made. I lent it to a guy that had lost his wedding ring at a local beach, he found it with the detector and when it returned it came back with a slab of beer. I have semi retired now and I can concentrate on something I have been wanting to do for years, am looking forward to getting back out there and having a crack. Cheers Fletch

welcome fletch.....what was the name of that creek you lost that nugget in again?? :D

When you do get the detector I would head straight back there, it might still be there mate

you will learn a lot from these guys... need to know something? use the search feature on the top of the page and heaps of stuff will come up to read... welcome to the conflab mate.. :)

kawman said:
you will learn a lot from these guys... need to know something? use the search feature on the top of the page and heaps of stuff will come up to read... welcome to the conflab mate.. :)
Thanks Kawman, I will need all the help I can get but am keen to learn and have some mates in different towns that have been detecting for years so I will become an apprentice again.

MJB said:
welcome fletch.....what was the name of that creek you lost that nugget in again?? :D

When you do get the detector I would head straight back there, it might still be there mate
Hi MJB, sorry I never got back sooner, The creek u refer to is just out of one of those little town on the way back to Warrnambool from Ballarat, think its Scaresdale?? Yes I nearly got rocked at that spot by my own kids as they were not interested at all in what I was doing. Ha ha. I see your from the mount and play around looking for gold in Ararat, As that's close to me I would be interested in having a detect around that area, being new to detecting and still not having purchased one I hear you have to spend several days learning the art and not getting anything so this might be a spot that's close to home that will suit me. I did fish No Fish Creek in the daily river a few years ago and caught no fish so I'm use to the getting nothing bit. Question for you, is there any local clubs around our area that I could tap into? I'm on face book with Ballarat Gold Seekers which is great but hoping there was something a little closer?? Any how great to hear someone is close and cheers for now Fletch

Gday Fletch,

Another semi local hey? that's good. There is a club here, Mt Gambier detector club or something like that. They seem pretty active and head out to the gold fields regularly by the sound of it so it may be worth looking them up. Yes Ararat is my closest gold bearing land and the 2.5 hr drive can get tedious but I know its worth it in the end. There are heaps of spots up there to learn the art of detecting and also Beaufort is as good a place as any too.

let us know how you go mate, I may be able to meet you up there and you can borrow my old minelab for the day