New Television advice please?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thought I'd ask here in the hope someone has a better more up to date idea than myself on all these new style tv's.

Gonna buy a new telly for the back lounge Room. Have seen 85 inch Samsung for just under 3 grand. That's about my budget. Want a bigger screen to watch sports and the odd movie on, but a big screen.

What do I buy for around that or even less and why?

Thanks people! :Y:

I am probably a year or two out of date , but if I had to buy one now I would want it to be ,

4K as I reckon that's great quality picture.

Oled or led but make sure its easy on the eyes or has plenty of modes like sports , movie , nature etc to find a picture that's natural to watch.

SMART the best thing about smart TVs is screen sharing from your mobile or tablet etc with one touch on your device, that way I can find a funny or amazing pic or video and Instantly pop it up onto the big screen.

Brands don't mean too much these days as they are all good for 10years, its more about usable features that you will use and play with the remote as some are ridiculous to find the buttons you need..imo.

Good luck.

aussiefarmer said:
I am probably a year or two out of date , but if I had to buy one now I would want it to be ,

4K as I reckon that's great quality picture.

Oled or led but make sure its easy on the eyes or has plenty of modes like sports , movie , nature etc to find a picture that's natural to watch.

SMART the best thing about smart TVs is screen sharing from your mobile or tablet etc with one touch on your device, that way I can find a funny or amazing pic or video and Instantly pop it up onto the big screen.

Brands don't mean too much these days as they are all good for 10years, its more about usable features that you will use and play with the remote as some are ridiculous to find the buttons you need..imo.

Good luck.

From what I can see they're all 4k whatever that means. Could be wrong though?

They all seem to be smart tv's, but not all say they have kayo sports built in, or do they? Probably could just ring Harvey or Norman and ask that question. Just kinda don't trust a salesman for advice on which telly to buy.

Bought a new TV last week from JB. Just released Sony OLED 55". Their special intro price of $2936 (a little lower than the ticket of $2990, I asked for their best price.)

That special ended today, so tomorrow it's back to it's full retail of $3600 odd. So I got in on the almost $700 special. So shop around and ask for "best price" wherever or whatever you buy. Also check the model age and if a new one is on the way.

Here's what I found out from the older sales guy; "He said that all OLED screens are made in the LG factory, so screenwise not much difference. However, a substantial difference with sound. The 2 main brands for OLED screens are LG and Sony. I won't detail here what OLED is, that is easy enough to Google.

The LG equiv. size TV speakers are at the base of the TV and are bounced off an angled plate which is part of the stand. The Sony speakers are behind the screen and the sound travels through very small perforations in the screen. I was told in that size there were 6 speakers spread left middle and right. The demo mode actually makes it sound like the noise is coming from a point on the screen and then travels across the screen. The Sony also allows the TV settings to differentiate wall mount or stand mount re sound output.

As I bought this for the new house, I only switched it on briefly, connected to WiFi etc to check it works. Then repacked in the box ready for the move. So, other than the above, I can't give much of a review for now.

My current 48" is a Kogan, it's not very friendly re the smart side as;
1. There is a very distinct improvement with both picture and sound with the Sony.
2. The "smart" side of the Kogan is pretty dumb. Stan and a number of other streaming services won't work.
3. The Kogan Android O.S. has not been, nor able to be, updated, to the point that the Google Play Store won't even list 10 Play, 7+, or 9 Now in the list of Apps to load as they won't work anyway. My fix was to get a Chromecast device via HDMI, but can be painful as everytime I operate the Google device remote it turns my DVDR off.

I mention this only to point out - make sure it's a known brand that gets updates to the O.S. otherwise it don't stay smart long, lol.

Hey dont buy a TV that has a subscriber service 'built in'...
There is a chance that the TV could be 'locked' and not able to access other providers..

The other thing to be aware of with a "Smart" TV is that not all of them allow you to add in your own apps. They generally come with Netflix and Amazon Prime installed but if you wanted to have Foxtel or Disney etc then you either have to stream from your device (phone or tablet) or buy an external media player and plug it in via hdmi.

We bought a cheapy (can't believe I'm saying $2k is cheap) 65" as the only thing we could see that may have been a bit less than adequate for us was the sound as has been said previously. To rectify we just bought a soundbar which more than sorts any sound quality issues out

I purchased an Aldi 75inch OLED tv a couple of years ago.

It is going great and cost about $1500 at the time. If it craps out I will buy their 82inch next time and will still be in front ($ wise) of the more expensive big brands like Samsung.

Most modern TVs are 4K resolution (super high definition) and they look great in the showrooms but free to air TV in Australia does NOT broadcast at this resolution rate.

If you want to watch sport on a large screen it's important to look at the Hz rating of the TV. Hz rate is the refresh rate of images and the higher the number the better.

In layman's terms a 200Hz refresh rate means things like watching moving cricket ball and any movement will be clearer than an image refreshing at 50Hz which might seem blurred.

I have a Aldi tv a 55 inch its a good television has it for a few years and i have had no problems with its not a smart tv. I see Aldi have a 85 smart coming on sale for around $1200 TO$1300 hope this helps. regards john

old hand said:
I have a Aldi tv a 55 inch its a good television has it for a few years and i have had no problems with its not a smart tv. I see Aldi have a 85 smart coming on sale for around $1200 TO$1300 hope this helps. regards john

Here it is:
1626306421_aldi_tv.jpg

1626306596_aldi_tv2.jpg

Jaros said:
If you haven't already got one-get a good sound bar like Bose and it will improve your enjoyment immensely.

Yep reviews I've read all suggest a decent soundbar is the go. Bose is a good brand from what I've heard :Y:

Upside said:
Jaros said:
If you haven't already got one-get a good sound bar like Bose and it will improve your enjoyment immensely.

Yep reviews I've read all suggest a decent soundbar is the go. Bose is a good brand from what I've heard :Y:

Bose are great. At least they used to be, haven't bought anything Bose, nor anything else in 3 years or so but have never had any gripes about Bose sound or build quality when it comes to audio speakers. :perfect:

I'm a bit of a nerd and like a bit of tech. Funny thing is I have never bought a smart TV. I have used them but have always found the remote interface to be a pain when trying to navigate and search. (The newer ones probably have an app for your phone or tablet?)

So, I've got a "Stupid" TV, but use Chromecast. You could use Apple TV, a firestick or whatever.

The only problem with this setup is that you have to have the second device (The chromecast) powered on and then you have two things to deal with if you have problems.

I'm still a fan of this method though :)

One thing to keep in mind is warranty.. Most Korean made Tv's ( LG, Samsung etc) are dearer and only come with 1 year warranty . Chinese brands like TCL and Hicence come with 2 & 3 year warranty.

Latest posts