Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi members I have recently joined your forum to learn all I can regarding Fossicking and Metal Detecting, I am very new to this interesting and fantastic hobby. I love to detect for relics and would love to learn to Fossick for Gemstones, I come from Wellington NSW and would appreciate any help and locations around wellington where I could detect or do some gemstone Fossicking. Please if any member can help me with some locations and tips for Fossicking it would be much appreciated, Wellington NSW has the Macquarie River and Cudgegeon near by and many creeks but not sure if they would be ideal Gemstone area's.

Kind Regards
Leonne

Welcome Leonne75. I'm unfamiliar with Wellington so unfortunately can't comment on the area. The forum covers all aspects of prospecting and fossicking, so hopefully you find the people here and information contained withing the topics useful in your newly found hobby.

Please don't hesitate to ask any questions and I look forward to seeing you around the forum.

Nugget.

Welcome to the forum Leonne, There's a lot of gold and Gems in your region and I'm sure if you mix with the members many locations will be shared. Researching the Cudgegeon will get you very close to some good gems and many tributaries of the Macquarie have good gold.

Take a look on http://www.bonzle.com/c/a , click on mines,and many locations will unfold. Best of luck and look forward to hearing about your adventures,

Cheers Wal. :)

Hi Leonne - can't help too much with exactly where to try but do know from my own research that many different gemstones + gold has been found in these areas. The Macquarie River I haven't specifically researched but found that there have been finds of diamonds & sapphires usually as a by-product in the search for gold. This is also true of the Cudgegong River but having researched it more I know that not only have diamonds & sapphires been found but also ruby, zircon, topaz & various types of quartz + quartz crystals in different areas.

If you check the map out from this thread https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1571 you will notice some areas marked on the Mudgee/Gulgong side of Goolma that may be worth trying (Cudgegong River - Mebul Rd Crusher & Cudgegong River - Gardiners Rd). The Gardiner's Rd area is a TSR & you should get permission from the LHPA (Ph 02 6372 1866) first but the area on Mebul Rd known as the "crusher" is a public recreation reserve so should be ok.

I have had a look around both areas & they look like good spots to try but apart from a quick pan at the "crusher", (which netted me some clear + semi clear yellowish stones that are most likely quartz - didn't find any of the more sought after gems or any gold to speak of), haven't given it a proper try but will most likely have another go in summer with some better equipment to attack it ;).

If you have a look at some mine waypoints such as on this thread https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=11 you will notice that there is some past mining activity around these areas also. They did dredge near the "crusher" so I don't really know how worthwhile it would be?

Thank you so much msbasko you have been a great help, I live in wellington and if at any time you are going Fossicking and want a tag along lol please let me know.
Cheers Leonne

Hi leonne75, I I used to go shooting at mumbil many years ago and there was an old fella on the property mining for gold for years so there must be somthing out there, good luck

Latest posts