New member in Cairns, QLD

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
having recently re-discovered my mothballed childhood mineral and gem collection ive now decided to turn my hand at gold panning up here in sunny FNQ.
With its rich mining history and long lost gold mining towns i guess ive caught a bit of gold fever.
Hoping to pick up some tips for whats fair game and whats no go areas round cairns and tablelands.

Welcome to the forum GW, any time is a good time to dust off those cob webs, and sooner is always better than later.

FNQ has some of the best gold and gem locations in the country so it's great to have it as your backyard. Hope the forum gives you plenty of inspiration and reading material to get you heading down the right track, Best of luck out there mate.

Cheers wal,

welcome GW. If you ever get sick of looking for gold there are always plenty of spots up that way that have heaps of military relics as well

Thanks guys, glad to have found a forum where everyones welcome.
Good point dogmatic, hadnt thought of relic hunting. Might need to buy or rent myself a detector for that though.
Got my licence and some gear yesterday, now just have to get out there and see whats hiding in those creeks. Temp in Cairns today is 28, gotta love tropical winters. :D

Latest posts