New Area. Is It A Waste Of Time?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And definitely Gilgandra is in the right spot. Follow the road south and there's a little plane icon at the first town. That'd be the Dubbo airport.

7.62marksman said:
No worries can do close up ones if you pick an area however you will have to work out what is NP areas and so on

How about Tottenham mate?

1530095167_tottenham_nsw.jpg

^^cheers for that! Might head there for a look in a weeks time. :Y:

Is that deep mining marks or shallow stuff?

the thing is or the way i see it is , just because there is no gold mine in an area does not mean there is no gold there , just means there was not enough gold to start diggin big deep holes . the old timers needed a fair bit to make it worth while or they moved to where it was being found . course i could be wrong i was once before .
johno

texta said:
the thing is or the way i see it is , just because there is no gold mine in an area does not mean there is no gold there , just means there was not enough gold to start diggin big deep holes . the old timers needed a fair bit to make it worth while or they moved to where it was being found . course i could be wrong i was once before .
johno

I'm on your side mate! Agree 100% :Y:

Some things to consider.

30 - 60 % of gold found in the gold rush was NOT reported to the gold inspector , either because they were not trusted , or because the finder didnt speak English , or because the finder didnt have a mobile phone to ring him up with , so the gold maps only show the gold that was _reported_

Also , farming started before the gold rush and many farmers would block access to prospectors , so there was huge areas of land that have never been checked for gold or other metals / gemstones.

Lastly , you could have 100 people walk over a spot and find nothing , but one person whose name is on that gold will luck it and find it on their first try.

If you have property , heck yeah , look for gold.

Take samples from hilltops because they could have been a valley 30 million years ago where gold settled.

Take samples from the valleys too , from the surface , and dig a hole and take samples at multiple levels , especially if you see old rounded water worn rocks , label the buckets where they came from and pan them until you know.

There will be gold somewhere under your feet , question is , will it be down 3 inches , 3 feet , 300 feet or 3 km

Upside said:

Yep definitely an area to try. Hope you know what platinum looks like as its more abundant then gold around there, its believed there is plenty in the area undiscoved ;)
Ill send you some maps when i have a chance to sort em out.
Gaz

GaryO said:
Upside said:

Yep definitely an area to try. Hope you know what platinum looks like as its more abundant then gold around there, its believed there is plenty in the area undiscoved ;)
Ill send you some maps when i have a chance to sort em out.
Gaz

I'm heading down near there today. I'll take the 4500 and fill a few buckets of creek bed to pan when we get back home.

Appreciate some maps you have :Y: :)

Cheers.

We have friends living in Gilgandra we often visit and have done for about 8 years. An old timer out there we met at the auctions told me a few years back that he knew a place to fossick for gold,but cant remember the name of the place.
If I recall correctly,he mentioned the place was west of town about 30 kms ..
Sorry its a bit vague..I recall he mentioned that it was deep reefs and not mined commercial because of not being profitable..

7.62marksman, may I ask the mapping your posting pics of with the $ markings is this sonething you do yourself? Thanks Rod

All these maps {every state} are freely available on the internet.
They are Google map overlays.
The last time I looked they were in the member's downloads section of this site.

I can't recall who it was, but one of the other members (thanks to whoever it was) shared this link [https://nationalmap.gov.au/]. I have found it awesome with some great overlays and even up to date satellite imagery.

Latest posts