New and needing advice

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

proangler14

Stephen
Reaction score
Hi All
My daughter is very keen for me to take her gold fossicking. I have never done this but would like to try as this could be a great way to bond with my daughter.
Is it possible to walk along dried creeks with a metal detector and find anything? What kind of detector would you recommend ? Which areas would be worth a try?
Thanks in advance any help would be appreciated.
Stephen

My advice - throw a dart at the golden triangle, get some John Tully maps of the area you are going to go to & hire a SDC2300 for a weekend. In my opinion the SDC will give you a chance of picking some small bits up at least. Hiring will let your daughter see if it's something that she will want to continue with or not.

proangler14 said:
Hi All
My daughter is very keen for me to take her gold fossicking. I have never done this but would like to try as this could be a great way to bond with my daughter.
Is it possible to walk along dried creeks with a metal detector and find anything? What kind of detector would you recommend ? Which areas would be worth a try?
Stephen

Welcome mate. Yes, you can walk along creek lines and water runs with a detector. Trouble is usually rubbish that also gets washed down. Detector types are really down to your budget. Might I suggest, think about a supervised gold tour with one of the companies - google gold detector tours victoria to get some responses. You can hire detectors, so I would have a try first. Good luck with the hobby.

Welcome to the forum.

Pro Angler Maryborough is a good base to camp
Or Talbot Caravan park which is at the footy
Oval.

Maryborough is a large town with super markets,
Petrol stations, pizza shops, kfc and Maccas.

You can hire an sdc2300 from coiltek in Maryborough.
You can speak to Andy at Coiltek who might share
With you a spot to try.

Entering Blacksmith gully rd from maryborough
end and a Km or so in on the left there is a huge
surfacing Areas which might be worth a shot.

Good luck with it.

Welcome pro angler, just getting into myself and i can highly recommend the learning day tours Coiltek in Maryborough put on. Two people with one detector is the way to go and very economical, working as a team, you and your daughter will have a great time. Other than that there is a company? husband and wife team that operate out of Bendigo that do similar days, a bit more expensive, but your daughter may feel more comfortable with a woman instructing?

Hey wolfau, was up having a peek at that area around blacksmiths on friday and i noticed some private mining lease signs on the land on the left hand side of the road? lease expires July? But an extension has been applied for.

proangler14 said:
Hi All
Stephen

Hey Stephen, as a youngster these sort of trips with dad are going to be priceless. Its all about hangin with Dad, not necessarily the gold. I agree if you are a first timer, hiring a detector like the SDC is your best bet and taking turns doing the digging.

Welcome Stephen. Some good ideas above , you could also try a bit of panning . Panning is still good fun and a bit easier at finding gold , even if its only a few specks. First gold is always exciting even if its tiny .
Main thing is have fun and dont give up regardless of which direction you take :)

Gaz .

GaryO said:
Welcome Stephen. Some good ideas above , you could also try a bit of panning . Panning is still good fun and a bit easier at finding gold , even if its only a few specks. First gold is always exciting even if its tiny .
Main thing is have fun and dont give up regardless of which direction you take :)

Gaz .

agree with Gaz, a panning kit in a gold area you are bound to get something, just watch a few vids on how to do it as it does take practice.

WOW thanks for all the suggestions I will probably go on a day tour with her first and see if she wants to continue . You all made me feel welcome and I really appreciate the advice.

Give Greckie a ring mate. He is great on advice and how it all works. Does Gold Tours.
He will tell you some long and fanciful tales but he is great fun and happy to teach.
GT :)

Latest posts