Need some advice on Gloves - hand digging in rivers

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marked

Mark
Reaction score
Sometimes nothing is quicker than getting your hands down to loosen the gravel around closely packed larger river stones, yet my fingers have issues having their nails being forcibly removed by sand and smaller gravel. I haven't found any ideal gloves that last long as yet...any advice much appreciated.

Hay Marked,
I use the long type red chemical resistant gloves.
They are realy hard wearing and last for quite a while.
images

I use a pair of riggers gloves, they protect your hands quite well but they're not water resistant or anything.

trenchfighter said:
that sounds really quite ouchie.....

Funny thing about the "fever"...I don't feel it until later, but yes it is.

Nugget said:
I use a pair of riggers gloves

I did first few times out - found they still managed to get sand in them before wearing through (maybe through the seams?)...and my hands turned a nice shade of yellow matching the dye in the ones I had :rolleyes:

backcreek said:
I use the long type red chemical resistant gloves.

Funny how the brain works...used to use these nearly every day at work...hadn't even considered them. Might pick up a short pair as well as the long. If the sand makes it into the short pair, it might stay out of the long...I might be able to break through the rubber on the back of the hands (but not the fabric) to aid in drainage, as where I find I am digging I am up to my shoulders at times :)

Marked said:
Nugget said:

I did first few times out - found they still managed to get sand in them before wearing through (maybe through the seams?)...and my hands turned a nice shade of yellow matching the dye in the ones I had :rolleyes:

The ones I use are kind of like racing gloves, a black breathable material with rubbery finger grip things, they also velcro up around my wrist.

Nugget said:
Marked said:
Nugget said:

The ones I use are kind of like racing gloves, a black breathable material with rubbery finger grip things, they also velcro up around my wrist.

Sounds more like what we call "Mechanics Gloves" in my area...I should invest in some of these to try as well.

HeadsUp said:
neoprene dive gloves mate . you will never look back

there are many different kinds so study a few in a shop first and then buy them from ebay at 1/5 th the price probably . haha

and rock boots ;

i found i had to go up a size , ie if youre an aussie size 11 you should buy a size 12 in those

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mirage-R...d=100040&prg=1011&rk=1&rkt=4&sd=190889609426&

With the weather warming up the rock boots might become an option I look at- I was pretty damp after taking the waders off last time I was out, and it wasn't too hot a day either.

try using divers gloves they are a bit thick but they are very wear resistant and keep hands warm

I use these and reckon they are fantastic, they have plastic rubber type pads over the knuckes so they don't get smashed around and wear out or get holes in them, the gloves themselves do quite well in water and don't get saggy at all when wet, unlike rubber gloves or similar which turn into balloons when they fill up with water these will work happily submerged all day, they are reasonably tough and hard wearing but still give you reasonable feel in the ends of the fingers.

I found I was having the same problems as you with busting up my nails and the ends of my fingers, in addition to that, taking the bark off my knuckles quite regularly when scraping out narrow crevices, waterlogged skin is no match for rough stone!

At $20 they aren't too expensive to replace when they do eventually wear out.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/safety-zone-medium-large-proflex-demolition-gloves_p5810132

Cheers
Adam

elbowgrease said:
I use these and reckon they are fantastic, they have plastic rubber type pads over the knuckes so they don't get smashed around and wear out or get holes in them, the gloves themselves do quite well in water and don't get saggy at all when wet, unlike rubber gloves or similar which turn into balloons when they fill up with water these will work happily submerged all day, they are reasonably tough and hard wearing but still give you reasonable feel in the ends of the fingers.

I found I was having the same problems as you with busting up my nails and the ends of my fingers, in addition to that, taking the bark off my knuckles quite regularly when scraping out narrow crevices, waterlogged skin is no match for rough stone!

At $20 they aren't too expensive to replace when they do eventually wear out.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/safety-zone-medium-large-proflex-demolition-gloves_p5810132

Cheers
Adam

Be gettin a set of them before the weekend

C&L ;)

Latest posts