Native Dog Creek Sapphires

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KarlS

Karl
Reaction score
Are there any? I have been there twice, yesterday and few weeks ago. I have dig in 6 different locations along the creek. Not a one sapphire found. I have pan tailings from 1/8 sieve and I did not see one sapphire chip in it. As water table is quite high at present, I couldn't did very deep because hole fills with the water and collapse.
I known that sapphires suppose to be there, but did anyone found some there recently?
Karl

Hi Karl, did you find any gemstones at all?
I found a few black spinel(?) and small zircons(?)
No pretty blue sapphires..

Have you found clay?

Few zircons, small one. Some black stones I found too, but I'm not sure if it is spinel. No, I did not reach the bottom, water keeps seeping in and holes keep collapsing. I think I will give this place miss for while.
Karl

I tried there with a mate about ten years ago. Didn't find a sausage for the whole day then either. Never been back. And after your report I don't think I'll be planning too in the near future either. :)

I haven't been in this game since I was knee high to a grasshopper ... But I'm pretty sure sapphires are rare....I've dug for a day before getting to something to sieve the next,nothing there, move on.two days wasted? two days learning to me.Your not going to find a six carat everyday, there or anywhere else.

Kingsolomon said:
I haven't been in this game since I was knee high to a grasshopper ... But I'm pretty sure sapphires are rare....I've dug for a day before getting to something to sieve the next,nothing there, move on.two days wasted? two days learning to me.Your not going to find a six carat everyday, there or anywhere else.

I have mined opal for couple of years in seventies, so I'm not completely new to prospecting. What puzzle me is total absence of any sapphires there. I'm not talking about 6 carats I'm talking about smallest chip visible with magnifying glass. If it was only me well, but other four guys dug there and found nothing. I don't consider those two trips wasted as I scouted around for other possible spots.
There supposed to be porphyry dyke and the sapphires should be in the drift around the dyke. It may be bit futher downstream.
Karl

Native Dog Creek has Sapphires, I've spoken to people who have found a few, though after looking at GE this morning it seems the only marked deposit is 13km back upstream towards Black Springs on NDC. 3 marked deposits are along Campbells River which shows the State Forest boundary is the river, might be better hunting there, Black Springs or Porters Retreat.

1401055392_oberon_sapphires.jpg

Heatho thanks for info. I may do bit of prospecting upstream from designated fossicking area when I got time.
Black Springs is quite realible sapphire patch, I always find some there. I haven't been to Porters Retreat yet, must try it one day.
Karl

I have found a few in Native Dog Creek, near the public fossiking area marked in the brochure from the visitor center (next to the road).
But there are not a lot.

I had also a few specs of gold in the left over dirt from the sieves.

I also found few specs of gold and one very small piece of quartz with specs of gold in it, from the bridge to the river. bend. But no sapphires. It may be that the area has been worked out? It is easy to dig there with water for washing gravel close by. And from what I have read on the net, lots of people dug there in last 30 or more years.
Karl

Hi guys, I'm new to all this, sorry for thread resurrection, what are all those yellow triangles on the map???? One is literally over my back fence on my new home we get the keys to a a couple if weeks, cheers

Hi Maturbo, I think your in luck that area was sampled by a company looking for commercial deposits of Sapphires and diamonds they found some around Vulcan State Forest but not commercial for them. Certainly worth sampleing and sieving any wash you can find. :) Ted

man....if you can go out digging and find sapphire everyday consider yourself lucky and go dig there as much as possible....ive dug for about 5 weeks on and off up in Sapphire CQ found plenty....but had plenty of days in a row where i found nothing at all....

dug a 4ft square section of good solid wash out for nothing.....took days work and almost gave up...first sieve of the first bucket on the 3rd day pops a 55ct blue gem quality....lots of luck is also involved lol

Awesome, I'll have a look for water in that section, there's a river that's more like swampy grass on my land close to that marker, but it's not flowing, there's a couple of what look like deeper bits I'll check to depth of, when I get the keys I'll head to sapphire bend to see if anyone is willing to show the ropes, a couple of members have already offered, great forum!

Researching the forest started my interest in this hobby and now it's all I'm doing lol Is there a possibility of gold on my property? It's lightly timbered natives, on the edge of the pine

I believe they followed a layer of old river wash about a metre down winding through the Vulcan state forest may not bear any relationship to your modern creek. There was a sign posted fossicking reserve in one spot on the wash.yes there is gold in Campbells River near- by.

Oh ok, thanks, I'll stick to the public areas to start with, but it's good to know I might have a private honey hole lol, that section of forest is about 60ac on its lonesome, the one near Mozart

G'day Matturbo, yes all the Yellow Triangles are gemstone deposits. The closest one to Mozart is the Fish River Sapphire deposit, there is alluvial Gold in the creeks and rivers nearby, looks like you may have bought an interesting property to try your luck. The Vulcan State Forest has a lot of Sapphire but generally very small, though you can get lucky and find bigger ones in there.

Be keen to see if you find anything, not looking to dig on your place, just like pics. :)

Hi Heatho, yes the swamp river on my place is the start of fish river, I got really excited before I saw it because on the other side of Oberon dam it's a gorgeous river lol would I be better off digging my place or going into the forest where the marker is? I want to move there now :( I can't until my businesses sell in Penrith

Latest posts