My 'new' F1A4 finds gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mozzie1957

Wayne Blyton
Reaction score
Few days ago purchased a F1A4 for $500. Looks to be in 'as new' nick. I modded the detector by replacing the military coil connector with one that allows the use of any mono, or dd, that the 5k would run. Also replaced the headphone socket to a 'civvy' one to allow the use of any headphone or speaker. In fact, the only thing I kept 'original', to some degree (apart from the 2 mods), is the control unit. Did this by following the info in the DIY section. How cool is this forum? Thanks guys.
Have not installed a momentary switch to the handle, for GB, as yet. The plan was to hip or shoulder mount the control box so I'll simply use the switch on the control unit for now.
I've replaced the army shaft, handle and cuff with lighter upper and lower shafts, handle and cuff. Belt mounted the control unit so all I'm swinging is the shaft and coil. Maybe 3 lb in weight, if that. And I run a NF 12 X 7 mono coil. Using headphones with an adustable volume control has taken care of any issue of having your ears blown off when over a target. And a very simple solution around installing a volume control in the control box itself.
Out today,for the first walk since modded, and pinged this little .25 at about an inch.
These may be ex-military but with the right mods are proving surprisingly very capable. And VERY emi resistant.
1405845647_img_0710.jpg

1405845681_img_0711.jpg

1405845714_img_0709.jpg

Congratulations, its good to see the F1A4 find some gold with a couple of mods. I like the idea of hip mounting and changing the shafts.:)

Well done mate. That old girl works well. I will be honest, i thought that f1a4 wouldn't be much chop finding gold. But i am impressed with it, good one mate. :)

Roscoe said:
Well done mate. That old girl works well. I will be honest, i thought that f1a4 wouldn't be much chop finding gold. But i am impressed with it, good one mate. :)

The F1 compares very well to the older SD machines, 2000-2100, its a little better (with minor mods) like the quick track button..
I've done okay with mine..

Wouldn't trade a 2200 for one though..

With a few small mods and the whole lot would cost under a grand it seems like a good investment. :)

LazyTrommel said:
Roscoe said:

The F1 compares very well to the older SD machines, 2000-2100, its a little better (with minor mods) like the quick track button..
I've done okay with mine..

Wouldn't trade a 2200 for one though..

Yep, my first one cost, hmm $499 plus $25 for all the bits. Could have it fully modded for around $500.. so for under a grand it could compete with the GP series..

I quizzed someone about that on Geotech..

He said the circuitry is designed to detect very small (fine) targets.. (ie very fine steel and copper wire).. The number of times i've pulled DEEP targets only to find its a tiny bit of wire.. and i mean less than 1mm in thickness.. at really decent depth.. its crazy..

Yet you take a .25g bit of gold, and sometimes it will all but ignore it until its on the coil.. all depends on the shape of the target i guess.

Anyway I'd love to meet the designer.. or get some schematics :D .. unfortunately minelab have "processed all that information to the Archive" .. psh..

In other words, NOPE lol..

Ohwell.

mozzie1957 said:
I've heard from one of the techies doing the mods on these that the SDC2300 is a modded and rebadged F1A4. Certainly sounds similar. And I've just found another piece with my old girl, a .1 at about 4cm.
Minelab's answer to that is its basically very incorrect. Minelab are saying that the internal electronics have been totally re engineered not just modified but who knows really? The external design was based on the F3 mine detector not the F1A4 so I doubt they used the F1A4 internals at all.
Also talk that Minelab developed the SDC2300 to use up surplus old F3 cases seems off track too. The SDC outer plastic, coil etc. is blue while the F3 is a military green. Have they worked out a way to recolour plastics right through?

http://www.minelab.com/aus/products/countermine/mine-detectors/f3-compact

I have no doubts about the ability of the F1A4 for a budget, entry level machine but I reckon that comment from the techies might be a bit of salesmanship on their behalf.

mbasko said:
mozzie1957 said:
I've heard from one of the techies doing the mods on these that the SDC2300 is a modded and rebadged F1A4. Certainly sounds similar. And I've just found another piece with my old girl, a .1 at about 4cm.
Minelab's answer to that is its basically very incorrect. Minelab are saying that the internal electronics have been totally re engineered not just modified but who knows really? The external design was based on the F3 mine detector not the F1A4 so I doubt they used the F1A4 internals at all.
Also talk that Minelab developed the SDC2300 to use up surplus old F3 cases seems off track too. The SDC outer plastic, coil etc. is blue while the F3 is a military green. Have they worked out a way to recolour plastics right through?

http://www.minelab.com/aus/products/countermine/mine-detectors/f3-compact

I have no doubts about the ability of the F1A4 for a budget, entry level machine but I reckon that comment from the techies might be a bit of salesmanship on their behalf.

I think you're exactly right on that one.

Possibly they used some of the knowledge from the F1A4, both are tuned toward smaller targets, and Emi resistance. Maybe they were developed separately but I wouldn't imagine it was a huge leap from one to the next, but certainly they have their differences. They may not be brothers but definitely cousins Imo.

Goldtarget said:
Possibly they used some of the knowledge from the F1A4, both are tuned toward smaller targets, and Emi resistance. Maybe they were developed separately but I wouldn't imagine it was a huge leap from one to the next, but certainly they have their differences. They may not be brothers but definitely cousins Imo.

Indeed..

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and loving all the info, especially finding information on the Minelab F1A4

I've had my eye on the F1A4 and I am interested in purchasing one for my wife to use. I've looked on Ebay however the prices are well over the $1,000 mark. I see that Mozzie1957 has managed to buy one $500, great price, can anyone assist?

Cheers... :)

Texastea said:
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and loving all the info, especially finding information on the Minelab F1A4

I've had my eye on the F1A4 and I am interested in purchasing one for my wife to use. I've looked on Ebay however the prices are well over the $1,000 mark. I see that Mozzie1957 has managed to buy one $500, great price, can anyone assist?

I got mine all off ebay for around the $399-600 mark.. unfortunately the worlds worst kept secret is out, 'F1A4 very good very sensitive PI machine for less than $1000'
Now they are more than $1000 in some cases.. a lot of the modders snapped them up to mod/resell...
Keep an eye on ebay, every now and then you'll see one come up for a reasonable price..

LazyTrommel said:
Texastea said:
Hi all,

I got mine all off ebay for around the $399-600 mark.. unfortunately the worlds worst kept secret is out, 'F1A4 very good very sensitive PI machine for less than $1000'
Now they are more than $1000 in some cases.. a lot of the modders snapped them up to mod/resell...
Keep an eye on ebay, every now and then you'll see one come up for a reasonable price..

I was going to buy F1A4 but left it too late and price increased considerably. At around $1000 for F1A4, you are better off getting White's SPP. That's what I got. If you can get F1A4 for around $500 and do the mods yourself, it is a very good deal. But if you are going to pay 1 to 2 k for the detector and mods, you are better off with White's new detector.
Karl