My Detector Rig

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I spent some time this afternoon & re-did my rig from an old piece of kit I used to wear.

1371381608_kit.jpg

The detector is a Minelab GPX4500. I've added a deep bowl plastic hand shovel (thanks Wal) & a weatherproof cover for my control box.

The cable from the control box runs into the cam ammo pouch. In it sits the battery & from it runs a cable to the tan grenade pouch which contains a loudspeaker. Above them sits a Minelab Pro-Find 25.

On the opposite side starting at the top working down & across is my flag that I fly proudly, my 60-100x LED Loupe, my collection pouch for finds, crevicing tool & Walco pick equipped with Rare Earth magnet.

In the outer velcor pouches on the main ammo pouch sit 2 field bandages in case of emergency.

In the back sits a hydro pack that can carry 3L & feeds through a hose. The weight is evenly distributed & the ammo pouch makes for a nice armrest while providing a platform that makes low & slow a dream. Next weekend out I plan to leave on a hike with a few energy bars in my finds pouch & not come back all day ;)

Keen to see what other people take out with them. Feel free to post up a pic of what you're running with.

Cheers, Matt.

Great post, I spent time in the Army and have all my gear still. I was wondering what to do with my webbing and thanks to your post I plan to do a similar thing but may be a pouch for a gps and uhf handheld.
Cheers
Greeny

Nice Greeny01. How long ago were u in? What did u do?

I was thinking of putting a GPS in the finds pouch & using a panic pouch / drop bag as my finds pouch. I just need to get a GPS next. I've left the back pouch-free @ this point so I can still carry my Alice frame mounted sluice.

Thanks Dirttreasure. It took some planning & scheming but I think it was time well spent.

Cool Matt, I've been thinking of doing the same, I don't like
the battery harness that comes with the GPX. Was going to
go down to the disposals store and see what they have.

I've got the same control box cover though, been carrying a
bucket and my pick around with me, sooo over that.

Your setup is perfect.

Matt I got out in 2005, feels like yesterday. I served 25 years in Aviation . From 1989 I was huey and blackhawk crewman loadmaster. Miss it heaps but you know when it's time to pull the pin. Knees shot and ankles from running in those vintage GP boots lol.

Heatho - Cheers, I was quite chuffed with myself when I finished it. I had one of my section mates over today & he just shook his head & laughed at me.

Greeny01 - Nice one. I don't think we would have ever crossed paths.

I joined in 2006. Did Kapooka, Singleton & was posted to 3RAR as a ParaTrooper.

Discharged in 2010 & have been secretly missing it since.. Well at least parts of it. The daily paid workouts, weapons handling & sense of pride are pined for.. But my old dickhead CSM can get f*kd.

If either of you guys need some pouches or bits & pieces let me know. I had 2 issues during my service & a good Qmaster ;)

G'day Matt,

Absolutely awesome set up! Everything you could need in one place. Anything that makes life easier while out prospecting -particularly if you've wandered a K or two from your vehicle, is fine by me.

I always wondered why Minelab never included a more sturdy harness? Maybe with a hydro pack built in, or room for one at least along with a few pouches for finds. Water is essential. It's easy to go long periods without proper water intake while your mind's on the job.

Your set up is ideal. Reminds me a little of JP's kit from his DVD's.

I'd like to see you pull a lump of gold for your efforts that those pockets wouldn't accommodate! :D

Cheers,
Shauno.

Thanks Matt you're a champ, happy to offer up cash for any spare bits that
would suit or even just advice on which equipment and where to buy.

Seems everything us civilians can get is mostly made in China and falls apart
after one use.

I went sky diving once, was incredible but once was enough, think I blacked out
for the first 1000FT. Still, landing was like stepping off a buss, my mate flared
too early and ended up on his bum. :)

Looks like a great kit

I have been looking at putting a webbing kit together, as matter of fact i have the list, i just need to get onto ebay :) I was going to base it around a Molle Tactical Utility Waist Pouch and add some bits i already use, including my camel back etc

When i got out i had to hand everything back in, what i didnt still have in my kit i had to pay for.

Wow Aussie Treasure Digger that's harsh. I lost out on a few things when my trunk got stolen otherwise it would have my detector in it now.
Modular Webbing Pouches are the bomb. The whole back of my rig is covered in the Molle strapping too. If I want to go overnight I've got a small sleep setup & additional pouches for food that I can work onto it in place of the sluice. Drop it off, set up camp & detect from there :)

Heatho no worries, let me know:

What type of Webbing Setup - Chest or Belt
What equipment do you want to carry?

I'll have a rummage around & find out what pouches I have that would suit & we can design something together based on whether you want right hand or left hand access to certain tools.

What are your local goldfields Heatho?

Mine would be either Tuena area or Hill End / Sofala area.

Hey Matt, starting to have a good think about it, I'm tall
and skinny so I reckon a chest rig would be good but
something that sits pretty low around my hips. I've noticed
a lot of the military harnesses sit very high on your chest and
are way too bulky.

Yours looks really snug fitting around the chest to stop it moving
around. Will have a think on equipment, though hydration pack,
pinpointer, pick, finds, GPS and snake bite kit so far. Light and
snug fit are the main thing though. I'm Left handed too, used to
be Right but... long story, bad injury. Thanks for offering to help.

I'm near the Manly area so same goldfields apply, have tried Ophir
and Sunny Corner which is the closest. No gold yet but won't be
too long. Sofala and Hill End I'm very keen to try. Got a few other
places I'm looking into as well on private property.

Well I've got a belt rig that is spare if you are interested. It has 5 minimi pouches on it which would comfortably carry a gpx battery per pouch :p

I have a 2L water bottle that fits snug into one also. I recommend we leave 1-2 minimi pouches & fix it up with a grenade pouch for your pick & then you can put a few other smaller general/ammo pouches to hold gps, finds & snake bite kits. The pin pointer we are probably best off cable tying on like I have done.

If all goes to plan I will be up in Manly one day this week hitting the beach so we could line something up.

MTMM!

Ahhh reminds me of my days spent designing the military equipment.
Matt if you were in 3 then you probally have seen some of my designs floating around.
I designed the SF BattleBra which was a huge seller, as well as the MK VII Alice Pack with it's trademark inverted SA2L water bottle pouches.
Wish I still had all my gear but some **** ******* ***** **&**** of an ex boss stole it all from me afer I loaned it to him to have a look at while considering setting up a side business

Hi Matt,
Just thought I would show my every day rig.
Please excuse the dirt it had a big day out. ;)
I set this one up so that it is cable free and I can put it down to dig. There is no cable attachment to me. I simply take the bungy off and I am free of the detector. The grey box is the light weight battery. It stays on the side of the detector with velcro. The detector cover then wraps around the whole lot.

Matt The Magic Man said:
Well I've got a belt rig that is spare if you are interested. It has 5 minimi pouches on it which would comfortably carry a gpx battery per pouch :p

I have a 2L water bottle that fits snug into one also. I recommend we leave 1-2 minimi pouches & fix it up with a grenade pouch for your pick & then you can put a few other smaller general/ammo pouches to hold gps, finds & snake bite kits. The pin pointer we are probably best off cable tying on like I have done.

If all goes to plan I will be up in Manly one day this week hitting the beach so we could line something up.

MTMM!

Hey awesome Matt, let me know which day you're over this way, I'll be here all this week.

EchidnaDigger Excellent Man. I really like it.

Was your day prosperous? Where did you swing?

I didn't know they had a battery lighter than the standard one. What's the life like out of it in detecting hours?
Do u remember what they are rrp?

I convert mine to something similar for beach combing but the smaller battery looks the go.

Heatho Sure thing. My prospecting adventures this week will revolve around Wal's timetable.

I'm getting a Highbanker off him so will see if I can pick it up at all on Friday if its ready by then & Wal is free. If I can get it I'll be heading over to a local area like Grubben Gullen or Oallen Ford to give it a spin ASAP. If I can't get it then I'll do some beach combing & will come to Northern beaches.

No worries,1 of Wals highbankers will be great for getting into it mate. That sounds like the best plan to start getting some real colours happening. See how you go, just yell if your still up for a beach hunt though.

I'll hopefully have a Toyota Prado this week, found 1 in great condition from an ex Navy engineer. Keen as to get out bush soon.

Latest posts