Mt Mulligan Area

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am completely new to the scene and looking to get a yearly hobby in my life, given we have pretty boring office jobs. I know I wont get rich, will probably lose my money, but am just looking for a bit more excitement in me and my wives lives!

We are traveling up to Cairns (based in Sydney) and heading to Mt Mulligan. Was wondering if there are any areas near here to detect? Was also wondering if there is anyone who would be planning to travel down that way soon who could help us out with sort of an introductory day (give us some tips, show us a few sites that work in the area, the dos and don'ts for safety). We would be willing to pay well for sort of a 1 day get us up to speed assistance and help us assess risks so we don't go to crazy or waste too much time.

Also if I were to go down in January, is that too hot to be out that area?

Thanks!

Hi nublet,

Welcome to the forum. Not sure if people would want you running around up there in that area in January as most of the tracks are dirt/gravel. January is right in the wet season and running around on the local tracks will only stuff them up more. Some of the local members might answer your questions better but I don't think you would want to get stuck out there in the wet season.

Cheers

Doug

Re Mt Mulligan, I used to go out there and detect, not sure if you can now, that they have built the resort.

Like Doug said January isn't a good time. How do you like the heat?

Cheers
Prooz

Cairns local here. Unfortunately there is no permission to detect or camp on Mt Mulligan, they have cameras and will chase you off/report you if found.

You could technically detect on the council owned Thornborough 'town reserve' but it's very small and wouldn't be worth the trip.

If you are determined to detect in the Cairns area, the closest places with permission are all of the Georgetown stations (Flat Creek, Western Creek) and apparently Palmer River station has now opened up too. But being January, they will probably be closed if there has been rain.

Sorry, there's bugger all permission up here and you're coming at the worst time of year.

Latest posts