More gold dust

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know less than nothing about gold or prospecting, But me and my girlfriend where waking along a branch of the Tanjil river yesterday and stopped at a river bend to drink some fresh water.

We couldn't help but notice the sand on the slow moving inside edge of the bend was completely covered in a fine sheen of fine gold glitter.

I didn't think to take any photos because we both assumed due to its abundance it must have been "fools gold".

But then when I got home I read that this used to be a gold region.

What do you guys think. Could this possibly be real gold?

I can already hear the clangin' and bangin' of gold gear being chucked into the back of the 4x4, and someone saying, 'Get in the back dog.' and a bit louder, 'Won't be home til the middle of next week luv'!

Lots of mica in that area, which is usually what you see littering the surface in an area of the creek like you describe.

Certainly no prospecting on tanjil, west or east branch but there are areas close. I can say that the glitter you saw certainly is pyrite / fools gold and it is everywhere there, the most I've seen anywhere and its amazing :)

By any chance you wernt at the bridge by just east of Icy Creek? There's sharp tall bedrock and twisted railway in the river next to old logging bridges right there. Nice little corner to stop on and watch the roaring flow of the Tanjil.

I swear I saw a nugget lodged behind a log there but the current is just too dangerous and I wish I could have reached in and grabbed it. Probably still there.. under the logging bridge

My first trips to tha Tanjil were in the late 80's camping - must have been drought years as it was no drama standing in the middle in that area for a scrub. Was quite surprised at the difference in flow to my memory when I returned sniffing for the yellow stuff ...

Latest posts