Money Tree ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Guys I am pretty new at this lark but got a bit of a handle on how my new gpx 5000 works after about 7 hit outs. But today I have got to say has been my most frustrating yet!! I have never read or heard of trees giving a strong positive signal but I experienced it today. I thought I was finally on to my first good find deep in a creek bed excavating in, under and around tree roots looking for the elusive target. The tree was starting to look like it was standing on 4 legs with all my undermining and scratching around (4 hrs worth)- the signal seemed to be coming from behind a particularly thick root so I just kept trying to get in behind and under it. Finally I ran the 11" mono all over the roots and trunk even above my head and got the same accursed signal everywhere. It was the tree the whole time. It was a very different tree to the others in the area being a soft scrubwood type in amongst gum and ironbark. Talk about a steep learning curve PHEW! Has anybody experienced this? Any perspectives would be appreciated

Go back with a saw and cut it out and get rid of it out of the picture.then hit the ground again with your 5000, there could be a good sized nugget in there.and if you don't you will be forever tormented with the unknown.trust me :D and if it was only the Bush now its out of the ground its easier to go over and kick the crap out of it for waisting your time :p :mad:

If you can get it to tell the difference between a gum and a wattle you could get a spot on Gardening Australia (maybe).

I did a similar thing scratching around a scrubby bit of bush, the sound was clear and loud, like blanking the machine. I kept digging and the signal was still there and still strong WTF getting excited now, my mate had heard the noise and saw me digging and came over to see. We kept thinking what is this and getting excited. Then after a while we were thinking something is not right here the signal has not changed and is picking up in different places around the bush, so after searching a bit more we found the culprit. It was a piece of wire fence that had been caught up in the leaves above the area I was digging, so I was pretty embarrassed like DOH, so we removed the wire and yup no signal. Oh well at least I walked away knowing and not wondering.

So I am having major old lap top issues at the moment and not being ignorant in not responding to to your helpful (in some cases) responses. I will return to aforementioned tree and possibly cut it down but there is definitely no wire or such visibly in it and each individual root gives a signal and up the tree as far as I can reach so it's got me stuffed. But like " McArthur I will return "

Also would like to ask if there is detectable gold around the Paradise dam - Mt Shamrock area in S E Qld. It was an old Gold location 1870-1885 but I am still unclear on weather or not that sort of gold diggings and today's modern detecting would be compatible - that's not very clear I know but what I'm trying to say is the old guys dug down some meters for gold and would that sort of country have gold nuggets near the surface the detector could see ? Does anybody have any experience with that particular area ? Thanks

Also would like to ask if there is detectable gold around the Paradise dam - Mt Shamrock area in S E Qld. It was an old Gold location 1870-1885 but I am still unclear on weather or not that sort of gold diggings and today's modern detecting would be compatible - that's not very clear I know but what I'm trying to say is the old guys dug down some meters for gold and would that sort of country have gold nuggets near the surface the detector could see ? Does anybody have any experience with that particular area ? Thanks

I found a similar tree near maryborough a few weeks back. The detector was going off its head, and I thought I had hit the retirement nugget (hoping for the old beginners luck scenario:). After digging around the roots for a bit and struggling to pinpoint this enormous find, I happened to glance up and see an old rusty bit of tube hanging in the fork of the tree. My retirement nugget appeared to actually be the remains of a camp chair frame :)

SmokeyStu said:
I found a similar tree near maryborough a few weeks back. The detector was going off its head, and I thought I had hit the retirement nugget (hoping for the old beginners luck scenario:). After digging around the roots for a bit and struggling to pinpoint this enormous find, I happened to glance up and see an old rusty bit of tube hanging in the fork of the tree. My retirement nugget appeared to actually be the remains of a camp chair frame :)
Man that BLOWS! 8.(

Run a DD coil in cancel and see if the tree still gives you a signal and where it's strongest. It's a good way to pinpoint large targets.

Hey thanks for the alternative coil etc nuggetino. I won't get back 'til maybe next weekend but I will definitely try that - cheers. Guys I am a bit gumby with this forum stuff as I haven't done it before + sick computer - I will try ,n send a photo

1428751382_665.jpg

Latest posts