Mirage PI for Victorian Gold Fields

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm new to the forum and to MD. I'm working to a limited budget and in reading reviews/advice any MD under $250 prrobably isn't worth it so my best bet is to look at PI kits (as I know how to hold a soldering iron). I was initially interested in building the Surf PI but then came across the Mirage PI from Sven. at treasurelinx.com/projects.html.
Has anyone here tried this Kit? How did you think it performed? I want to beachcomb 80% and try my luck on the local goldfields of Victoria 20% (I live in Lilydale).
Specifications:
Pulse Frequency....1000Hz
Pulse Delay............10 to 90us
Pulse Width............12 and 30us
Threshold...............Silent to audible
Audio......................VCO
SAT.........................1/2 to 10 seconds
Gain........................5 to 1
Frequency Adjust....10%
Search Coil.............300us
Operation Power.....12 volts
Search Coil Sizes ...5", 7", 9.5", 10.5"
Thoughts / advice? glasses
Regards
Aussie280

I understand it to be originally based on the hammerhead. A total noob question but how do PI work on mineralised soil. I thought there was an issue? Is the minelab 4500 a PI machine?

Any help appreciated.

You may have got your detector types mixed up there, PI detectors work better at ignoring ground mineralisation, both in the goldfields and at the beach vs your regular VLF detectors.

Pretty much all high end Minelab gold detectors are PI, including the 4500.

Someone else in the know may be able to help you out on PI kits. :)

Goldpick said:
You may have got your detector types mixed up there, PI detectors work better at ignoring ground mineralisation, both in the goldfields and at the beach vs your regular VLF detectors.

Pretty much all high end Minelab gold detectors are PI, including the 4500.

Someone else in the know may be able to help you out on PI kits. :)

Thanks Goldpick for putting me straight. I'm trying to read as much as possible about MD's. PI are the beast in mineralised ground. Also why do people say minelab is the king of MD's for mineralised soil in Oz? Are they that much further in research then the other brands?

Latest posts