Mining Lease Info Victoria

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all,

Doing some research on an area in Vic and have found that there are a few mining leases covering the area.

Geovic shows the expiration dates for a couple of them which expired last year. Would these be ok to go on to now or is there likely to be some kind of renewal process that might be underway?

Is there a website that I can get more info on the leases from?

Thanks.

In QLD, generally a renewal is put in 6 mths before the expiry date. The process should be completed then, in that 6 mths. But I have seen this time frame pass, but the land is still under lease, just the paperwork not complete.The only true way of knowing would be to ask the mines dept.

Contact earth resources department there's a 1300 number. If in general enquiry they can't answer they should be able to give you a specific regional or alternatively a departmental contact. This information should be freely available.

But I have a question why an expired mining lease? Likely rehabilitation works and not much joy for a prospector, most mining operations extract it all mate hard rock or open cut. An exploration lease would be much more likely fruitful but that's just my thoughts. Still might be something left for the little bloke before the big boys mobilize.

If GeoVic show that the leases have expired then I would visit the area. You aren't to know if they are being renewed or not so you can only use the information they give you to make your decision.

Fair point PB, I know els must display current signage, if you pick a boundary point the current information should be displayed or access points marked. Case in point Maldon open cut, vs ballieston (aka bonds pond)

Thanks for the advice guys. Fair point about about looking at an expired ML but there are pockets of land in between leases that might be worth a look without worrying about straying onto a working lease. Will make a map from geovic and check a couple of corners anyway

In certain areas a lease holder may be (or have been) working the more lucrative reef, but there may still be interest for the hobby prospector chasing what may have been shed from the reef into gullies below... so depending on what gold the area is known for, the strategy may not be the worst approach.

Latest posts