Minelab X-terra 705 General Tips, Advice, Questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1435738486_index-1.jpeg

Hey Avenged,
Im new to MD'ing too, and also from the peninsula
Im heading to goldfields this weekend, but me and a mate hit the Langwarrin
Flora Fauna as there is a lot of history from WW1 :)

Soulfly3 said:
Hey Avenged,
Im new to MD'ing too, and also from the peninsula
Im heading to goldfields this weekend, but me and a mate hit the Langwarrin
Flora Fauna as there is a lot of history from WW1 :)

Ohh that isn't far from me and I wanted to check that place out! But I was sort of put off as I thought you couldn't dig or detect there? Is it allowed if so I will put that back on my list!

Hi Avenged, as you have found detecting doesn't always produce instant good finds, but don't despair. Experience, research, and a fair bit of scouting around the place goes a long way to discovering such hot spots. Detecting around playground equipment (or also known as totlots) is always a good spot to start off in to get used to your detector, and can quite often be very rewarding. The small gold coil should be good for this, and a drop in sensitivity should allow you to get hard up against metal play equipment to get coins that others often miss. These areas are replenished with coins on a regular basis, not to mention dropped jewellery as well. It is a good location to get used to your coin ID's, without having masses of junk targets to deal with.

Beaches can be hit and miss, I used to target high traffic areas near jetties and walkways where there should be higher concentrations of finds. Make a plan to cover a specific high traffic area vs wandering all over the place aimlessly, this will ensure nothing is left behind. This can be done best by gridding up an area of beach, overlapping swings as you move from the dune line down to the damp sand, or vice versa.

If you intend to go searching coins, do yourself a big favour and purchase an electronic pinpointer. These will help to save a lot of time and frustration trying to locate targets (no more sieving through dirt), and minimise damage to the ground surface plus ensure the least amount of mess is left behind. No point digging a shovel sized hole if a coin is only a couple of inches below the ground surface, a pinpointer will determine this more accurately than the pinpoint function on your detector. Also get a hip mounted finds bag to throw both your junk and good finds in, then you can just toss the junk in the bin on the way back to the car rather than filling your own bin at home.

Our forum sponsor AngerManagement sells Deteknix Pinpointers, they are a more affordable pinpointer if you cannot extend your finances to purchase a more expensive unit from either Minelab, Garrett or Whites.

Deteknix Xpointer

http://deteknix.myshopify.com/collections/electronics-gadgets-metal-detectors

Minelab Profind

http://www.minelab.com/aus/products/consumer/accessories/pinpointer/pro-find-25

Garrett Propointer AT

http://www.garrettaustralia.com.au/pro-pointer-at/

Whites Bullseye TRX

http://www.goldsearchaustralia.com/index.php/bullseyetrx.html

Best to ditch the shovel if in parks areas or around sporting grounds, as caretakers/council workers may not look favourably on the use of such items (especially where irrigation lines are buried). As previously mentioned, either coin popping with a screwdriver or the use of a purpose made turf cutter/trowel will be more "park friendly". AngerManagement is looking to stock a more affordable version of the Lesche turf cutter, but you will have to contact him to see when that will become available.

Good luck with your detecting, hope you have fun with the 705. :)

1435745782_lesche_knife__11334_zoom.jpg

1435745800_1626200_digger_lg.jpg

Here's a cheaper option from Goldsearch Australia, as well as selling the Lesche.
http://www.goldsearchaustralia.com/...owels-shovel/coin-hunters-digging-trowel.html

1435746149_trowel.jpg

My rig so far for Parks n coins and the 705.
Discrimination on for 6 and lower.
sensitivity 15.
ignore the high noises above 40 generally they disappear anyway.
find a target go to pinpoint mode. If the target number drops away as you pinpoint its probably junk so move on. It needs to stay where you expect a coin.
Ive found to only dig the shallow targets. Dont destroy the field for $1.

I run all metal, as I find good targets can be made choppy, when the 705 nulls over close iron. Sensitivity 24 to 28, sometimes it needs to be dropped to 20, to keep it stable in really iron infested areas. I am using the 18.75 oval shaped gold pack coil.

G'day gents

Almost ready to pull the trigger, question is is the dual pack worth the extra dosh?

Given my locale coin/treasure would be the most common use, maybe occasional day trip or 2 to nugget country.

Does the Dual pack offer anything else that I'm missing?

I did my research, and when given the choice, people use the oval 18.75khz double D over the round coil. It is intended for prospecting, and does the coins/relics well. Given the choice of coil, I would go the 7.5khz double D, but you cant get that in a pack with the machine. Anaconda do the best deals on the 705.

Your only paying an extra 100 for the dual pack, but I dont think you would use it. Cant loose either way really.

I have the dual pack and found the round 7.5 kHz coil pin points a lot better than the oval 18.75 coil but not quite as sensitive, it's a good detector for coins but I'm not convinced it's any good for gold, well I haven't found any nuggets with it lol.