minelab series...where are the "leap forwards"

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok...been doing A LOT of reading

Looking at entry level PI detectors...for gold ......I already have a garrett ace 250 vlf

Looking at something used.....

The overwhelming opinion offered is that minelab are best for the mineralised earth of places where gold nuggets might appear.

This does not mean that other brands can't also be very good.... :) i'm just reflecting what I've read....

So in the minelab series of detectors....where are the leap forwards?

For example 2200, 3000, 3500, onwards...in a used condition their prices narrow considerably....but where in the evolution are the models that make
people go yep....that series....for money represented excellent .....VALUE....

You all have lovely detectors......:)

Each subsequent range should theoretically be better than the last right?

Hopefully you can read the question I am trying to ask !! ha ha

Steve

I just bought a sd 2100 best machine only paid $1000 so start with that then find gold and work your way up.

Since the SD series came out, I think the GPX Series has made Gold detecting in Oz a whole new game out of all of Minelab Prospecting Machines and every couple of years they break new ground with some high tech inventions,

john

ive gone the other way, have a sd2000 upgraded to the tits! only thing its missing is discriminate and to be honest i never used that anyway with past detectors. ive spent around $2200 with all upgrades coils boosters etc it picks up smaller gold than i have been able to with the 3500.

G0lddigg@ said:
ive gone the other way, have a sd2000 upgraded to the tits! only thing its missing is discriminate and to be honest i never used that anyway with past detectors. ive spent around $2200 with all upgrades coils boosters etc it picks up smaller gold than i have been able to with the 3500.

I'm sure glad you wrote sd2000 in that first Line??

I like how simple the SD range are with no screens etc, and I wish they still made them.

yeh i'm pretty happy with it, gain upgrade x 2 additional balance range upgrade and sensitive/normal for large coils and small. makes it real easy for 8" coils just flick over to sensitive never needs much balancing off you go. picks up coins at depth and gold :) also went with woody's side mounted battery, booster, interference filter, external speaker and battery meter. makes for an easy standalone unit.

G0lddigg@ said:
yeh i'm pretty happy with it, gain upgrade x 2 additional balance range upgrade and sensitive/normal for large coils and small. makes it real easy for 8" coils just flick over to sensitive never needs much balancing off you go. picks up coins at depth and gold :) also went with woody's side mounted battery, booster, interference filter, external speaker and battery meter. makes for an easy standalone unit.

Nice,,,, I would like one of them booster speaker Gizmoes, Because you can't wear a hat on a hot day with phones on,

It sound like a heck of a set up,

yeh headphones kill me, always getting tangled in trees and scrub and sweating like crazy. admittedly the old GMT i had to wear headphones but only earbuds

Yeah, I must admit I have hung my self with phone leads many a time or had them ripped clean off my head, I like the Nugget busters and the Grey Ghost UDTs in winter but now I have a pair of them whites prostar's which are the same as the other 2 just with a different name on them, but if you wear Glasses they can make ya ear holes sore by the end of the day.

Thanks for the replies guys...
That article mbasko posted was essentially the info I was after...

I appreciate all the other inputs ..
Minelab improvements seem to have been consistent .... I imagined it to be like cars,
Where they try to improve the model each year but we all know there are some years/models worth avoiding!!

I will shoot for an sd2000 series and find some gold before upgrading!!
Or at least seeing how realistically I get out detecting...

Thanks again

The most significant jumps in terms of features / performance for me were:

Sd2100
Sd2200
GPextreme
gp3500
GPX4500
Sdc2300

Best bang for the buck at the moment on the 2nd hand market would have to be the GP extremes, followed by the 4500.

SDC2300 can be had for $3550 new (miners den special) and with gold prices on the up makes it a tad over 2 ounces to get your money back.

PhaseTech said:
The most significant jumps in terms of features / performance for me were:

Sd2100
Sd2200
GPextreme
gp3500
GPX4500
Sdc2300

Best bang for the buck at the moment on the 2nd hand market would have to be the GP extremes, followed by the 4500.

SDC2300 can be had for $3550 new (miners den special) and with gold prices on the up makes it a tad over 2 ounces to get your money back.

Thanks Nenad, I have followed a lot of your tests over the years,

Can you tell me if the Extreme is the same as the 3000?? and if not what is the difference between the 2,

Thanks mate, John

I just received an email from Miners Den in Adelaide showing the 2300SDC on special and to me that would indicate a new ML detector is about to be released. The SDC is still the latest model in their line up but maybe not for much longer?

Ian

Latest posts