Milparinka / Tibooburra area NSW information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know the area of the Tibooburra common in hectares please?? I can't locate it online. Urgent.

Thanks.

Stephen
President
NAPFA

Does anyone know the area of the Tibooburra common in hectares please?? I can't locate it online. Urgent.

Thanks.

Stephen
President
NAPFA

Best info that someone gave me was 4000 acres.

I used to know the area size but have lost that information , 4000 acres may be on the minus side .
You would think those dopes who set the fee would have given a map of their common first up ? :(

Hi just wondering if any one has been out to Tibooburra lately if so is there much area to detect and can you free camp anywhere or do you have to stay in town we have some maps to follow also has anyone travelled the road from Noccundra to Tibooburra what state is the road and would we be able to take conventional caravan out cheers

Hi kit Kat..and welcome to the forum..usually plenty of advice given on this forum but this must have slipped through the cracks..Can I ask what detector you will be taking...as a newbie I advise only a 2300 minelab..The easiest detector to use on small and vvery small gold..The 4500 and 5000 will also find gold up there..but need a bit of experience..a lot of experience..I'm sure if you camp or stay in the caravan park Tent Caravan or cabin..you will meet up with some friendly people doing the same as you..Tib is a very friendly detecting town and make you feel welcome..There are many places to find gold there and with the right gear you will..I can't tell you where to find it for certain you have to do your own research..put big days in..try lots of different locations..and you will get lucky ?..We use the 15 min rule..If we don't find something in 15 min we're off..The Tib pub owns the Gumvale station and charges 15 bucks to detect..and the general store next to the Tib pub takes money for mount Stuart station..Best of luck..I'm sure you will have a great experience..
1495935443_img_1288.jpg

They might have reduced the 'Fee' ..... But are they still trying to charge a fee for something that may not be Law yet... :|

LW...

After my recent trip I can say that the joint is now almost flogged out for detectors users .

Spoke to those who been coming up for the last 6 to 7 years ' these are retired people yet using the best ML's ' although they know the area inside out, they only seem to be lucky to score a couple of sub- gram bits for a full days detecting these days ! most will not bother next season .
( the fee came into effect soon after we left ) so that should be the last straw .

Now it costs to prospect there , sad to see this as it's public land on the common & used to be free .

Anyway after all that rave , Barry & I came home with a profit after expenses , not using detectors . :)
WILL WE GO BACK ? sure when they offer free camping ;)

jack

Jack never fear it's still there ;) was there a few days ago and is the first place I have ever been that it didn't matter where you pulled up you found the yellow. :p
We arrived just on dark and as we set up camp one eager beaver jumped straight out the car with the SDC and a torch :lol: had gold before we had rolled the swags out :Y: He ended up with 76 pieces for a couple of days and count was a couple of hundred between us :Y: I think the biggest was .75 but it's a fun thing and beats the hell out of digging rubbish. SDC is certainly king out there without a doub't :Y:
The only thing there that exceeded the gold count was the roos ........................ never seen so many :eek: they literally lined the sides of the road and actually head butted the driving lights off my bar :N: But I worked out the problem on the way home when some bloke after flashing his lights at me pulled me over and told me my truck was to quick :8 In fact he even presented me with a "quick truck" certificate and here I was thinking that the roos just wanted a closer look at what was behind my grill :rolleyes:
Great mates, great gold along with great food but damn it was cold at night and next trip will make damn sure I don't leave the sleeping bags on the floor of my spare room :( :( :(

1497127599_tibooburra_sign.jpg

1497127750_tibooburra_1.jpg

Jack, that could have been written by someone who may have interests in means for finding gold with a contraption other than detectors.

Tibby will keep detectorists entertained for years to come and is by no means flogged out. I have friends who go their regularly and still average their ounce a week in small gold. Their last trip finished on Friday last.

I know of two pieces well over the ounce mark which have been found within the last two months.

Have to agree given as said is the first place I have ever been that no matter what direction you walked you not only got a target but it was of the yellow variety ;)
Lady at the corner store was very polite whilst I paid for brekky but the mood changed dramatically when I brought up the subject of paying to detect on the common :eek:
She was on the committee and one of three pushing for this so I'm told .................. I politely tipped my hat and left quietly pissed that I had supported her establishment :mad: We live and we learn ....................... every day :Y:

Just a tip may be helpful for those planning a trip ..................... take any road out of Tibooburra town centre and once you cross over a grid your on the common and remain on the common until you hit the next cattle grid along that road. After that your on private land :Y:

The money for detecting on the common..is not going into individuals pockets..a lot of locals work for nothing to provide amenities that we enjoy when visiting town..Not every one runs a business..and if I pay $10 and that gives them some $ to spend on town projects I'm certainly not against it..One of the reasons we enjoy going there is the friendly atmosphere in town..Let's not stuff it up..
1497139696_img_1288.jpg

I don't think the cost that has now been put in place could be regarded as extreme in any way ? $10 for a month or $50 for a year is certainly fair and also much different to the original fee that was proposed. :Y:

Got rained out the only time I tried to get there but are looking to do a few days swagging it later this winter . Could someone clarify are you allowed to camp on the common ? Do many head to Gumvale station ?

$10 a month is very reasonable I reckon for a bit of upkeep of the area.

Cheers

Bacchus said:
Got rained out the only time I tried to get there but are looking to do a few days swagging it later this winter . Could someone clarify are you allowed to camp on the common ? Do many head to Gumvale station ?

$10 a month is very reasonable I reckon for a bit of upkeep of the area.

Cheers

No camping allowed on the common and also must stay on vehicle tracks ;)

madtuna said:
Jack, that could have been written by someone who may have interests in means for finding gold with a contraption other than detectors.

Tibby will keep detectorists entertained for years to come and is by no means flogged out. I have friends who go their regularly and still average their ounce a week in small gold. Their last trip finished on Friday last.

I know of two pieces well over the ounce mark which have been found within the last two months.

Steve I'll admit that I have an big interest in alternative devices for finding gold , so that's a fare comment . :D

Your friends that average an ounce a week from Tib must be top operators or more lucky then most .
I met up with Jim Foster on his way back from there back in 2015 , him & his wife spent 7 weeks detecting with a 2300 for just over 2 ounces ' over a thousand nugglets . They have been going to WA since ;)

As for the fee to prospect , although it's just peanuts for now this is bound to increase , Hill End common is free & a lot easier to get to for most !

Jack

Latest posts