Methods of Research

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Was just wondering what everyone does to find out or pinpoint research on where to find your gemstones. In Victoria I dont have any problem finding areas to find gold, but gems on the other hand is becoming painful to say the least. I know the major spots but I do also know that other gemstones have been found. I have the Gemstones of Victoria book but thats about the best I can do. I cant find any more information. I know that Victoria is not as prolific in Gems like NSW and Qld but I do know that they are here. So if anyones got any pointers Id love to hear them. My main gem i am chasing is Sapphires :)

I don't get much into gems but if I was on the hunt I would start by finding out what geological event caused the gems to form. Then the age of the event. Then I would research what other types of minerals are formed with them after all of this I would then get the surface geological maps from Geoscience Australia .com
And look for the age and geology to locate a test site. The main research I think would be the geological age and evet that causes the gems.
I hope this helps and good luck with the search.

onespecSteve, I have the same book as you and it is a good starting point. The best bet is to get into a gem/lapidary club in your area. They usually do field trips and can take you into an area and get you started. I've found sapphires at a few spots here in vic, however all the stones have been pretty small. Good luck on the hunt! Jamo :)

Thanks guys appreciate the help. Jamo I have done that mate :) Picker thanks for the link mate it worked out fine. There is bugger all material that I have found that tells me much info on anything other than gold in victoria. I have no memory due to a work injury so im limited to a page or 2 before I start to forget what I read so thick geology books that im still trying to understand is a no go, it just gives me a headache :)

Steve

A great book to get hold of (only about 100 pages) is Gem Minerals of Victoria. It gives detailed descriptions of where Gems are found in Vic. In my mind well worth getting hold of and persevering. It is easy to use simply look at the Index of localities in the back and go to the relevant page.

I tried searching for Vic gemstone locations and could not find much info either. I'd try getting out with some sieves and just do a bit of sampling in likely looking rocky creek areas. Could be surprised at what's there. Or when panning or sluicing for gold always look for really tiny gems in your pan, if there are small ones there are likely to be bigger ones.

Hey Steve,

Are you looking at payable gems (value) or just an addition to your collection?

As you have stated Victoria does have small concentrations of gem but rarly in payable amounts. I've found sapphires, zircons, smokey quarts, opals to name a few but none of payable quality. Most of the sapphires wouldn't be larger that 3mm. Zircons maybe 5mm.

Great colours and talking point for my collection though.

But it does not stop me looking. Currently im trying to hunt down a piece of Topaz to add to the collection.

As Heatho said just keep sampling areas that you know where gems are known to occur and you might just find what it is your looking for.

All the best mate. I'll keep you updated on how ET and I go this weekend. ;)

Hey Heatho, yeah mate thats exactly what I have been thinking.

Golden, Im honestly just after for my collection. I have no interest in selling any unless of course it could buy me a decent detector :) But I do just love the hunt mate. Look forward to finding out how you guys went. Was thinking about you guys all day. Fair to say I was Jealous lol.

Latest posts