Meteorite

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found this solid metal rock and I sandblasted a corner of it and it shines bright like Platinum under its skin. Is it a meteorite?
1402262124_meteorite6_004.jpg

G'Day

It is hard to tell. If it was a meteorite and it is metal it would be composed of nickel-iron and be very heavy. Best to take it to the museum - depending on where you live. Don't try and cut any off because if it is a meteorite it would be valuable. where did you find it anyway?

Araluen

Looks like a big chunk of fresh cast metal to me. I can see a little more of it in the reflection in the mirror in the image. So whats the story behind it IndoGemstone, is it magnetic, did you dig it up. If its a meteorite its a very fresh fall which is rare. Normally an iron meteorite would be badly oxidised on the outside when found. Only a full sandblasting could get it looking something like that.
RedDirtDigger

I have a few doubts about this also, a quick search on IndoGemstone's email address indicates that he/she is an Indonesian seller of gemstones, minerals and other rocks. Something smells fishy :/

Fishy may be the right word. If you enlarge and enhance photo there appears to be a mould of a bream in the top right section of the photo, Is this the same metal of this magical rock??

1402297904_fishy.jpg

Phantom

It looks like a big hunk of iron, but whether it's a nickel/iron meteorite or not needs more information and photos than what has been provided.

There appears to be no fusion crust on the outside. In fact the fusion crust appears to be replaced with some type of casting agent.

The shape is not that of a piece of meteorite shrapnel, nor does it appear to have any rounded edges. There appears to be thumb print/regmaglypts, but these can be faked.

I think it's a cast piece of iron that was made for the specific purpose of fooling others into thinking it is an iron meteorite.

More details and photos would need to be provided to prove otherwise.

Phantom said:
Fishy may be the right word. If you enlarge and enhance photo there appears to be a mould of a bream in the top right section of the photo, Is this the same metal of this magical rock??

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/2603/1402297904_fishy.jpg

Phantom

Fantastic investigation work there Phantom, I zoomed in briefly but thought it was just another piece of the metal sitting under the table or something, from your image quite clearly it's a mold.

Please explain IndoGemstone?

I can see the great PA Super Sleuths are on the trail again...sniff...sniff...sniff...sniff... 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Monty

I actually think that is cigarette ash. PMSL.
If that rock was what is supposed to be, That flimsy table would not hold that weight.
I think it is molten aluminum and besides, If you found some thing like that, Would you put it up on an unknown forum? as it would be worth millions.
No...

Latest posts