metal detecting in your local parks

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can I use a metal detector in park. last thing want to be is get arrested
do I need a permit

cheers
tommy

No permit needed mate but a quality pinpointer is advisable so you can pinpoint the target and make minimal grass and soil disturbance during target recovery. I usually just use a screwdriver and my pinpointer for recovery.

Golden_mossy said:
Can I use a metal detector in park. last thing want to be is get arrested
do I need a permit

cheers
tommy

Not mentioned by others and not sure where you are from GM, but if in Victoria at least, you need a Miners Right, even for fossicking in a park. Easy to get online and only $17.20 for 10 years.

Rob

Why do you need a miners right while detecting for coins? Sounds rediculous to me. Should only need one for digging minerals such as gold or gemstones. It says on the resouces website only fossickers and prospectors searching for minerals need a miners right, it does NOT that I'm aware of say you need one just for detecting.

Heatho said:
Why do you need a miners right while detecting for coins? Sounds rediculous to me. Should only need one for digging minerals such as gold or gemstones. It says on the resouces website only fossickers and prospectors searching for minerals need a miners right, it does NOT that I'm aware of say you need one just for detecting.

In NSW Stare forests you need a permit for any kind of fossicking.

Heatho said:

As I periodically travel and wish to detect in all states, I try and avoid any potential issues from cross state rule variations and that is not easy. You may be correct according to the following post from Loamer regarding beach detecting.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=37989#p37989

But where you may need to be careful is in the interpretation of the various rules and even the experts seem to have trouble getting their head around it (in another forum) -

http://forum.kimbucktwo.com/index.php?topic=6834.msg58968#msg58968

Note that you are considered to be fossicking for treasure and "Treasure troves" are the property of the Crown, so what is a treasure trove, is it one very valuable historic coin, or a 100 of them with minimal $$ value but some historic value?. Also need to keep clear of Historic sites when fossicking, but I believe that you can detect in some of them and take gold home (crazy), so careful that you avoid that trap around some old town sites. See the following extract from the Victorian Prospecting Guide -

==== Treasure troves (hidden valuables) that may be discovered while fossicking belong to the Crown and must be reported to the Police. ===

http://www.energyandresources.vic.g...-prospecting-and-fossicking/prospecting-guide

I believe that you also need a miners right to fossick in Queensland.

So take care and have fun.

Rob.

I would interpret a Treasure Trove as a collection valuable items in very close proximity or a collection of valuable items of cultural or historical significance. You need a fossicking license for QLD yes but neither regulations state that you need one for metal detecting in parks or beaches. As long as you are not removing naturally occuring minerals then you should be safe from prosecution.

You may find another Welcome Stranger detecting a park in VIC if so then yes I agree that it would have to be reburied and then removed once a miners right is issued or face prosecution. In this case it may help to have a miners right if you accidentally find a nugget and want to legally take it home. I still believe though it's only needed for removing naturally occuring minerals.

I'm not arguing but that is what's stated in the wording and it's the intention of the right to mine which legally requires you have a miners right.

All good Rob but I just don't think the average Joe hunting a few coins or jewelery needs one.

I would agree with your comments above Heatho, in VIC you technically dont need a miners right for coin shooting in parks and beaches because treasure is non-mineral!

Having said that, at $17.50 for 10 years, why wouldn't you have one anyway?

Cheap insurance in my book.....way cheaper than lawyers fees!

Not sure if the law of 'Theft by finding' comes into play here though if you decide to pocket an 18 ct ring from Brighton Beach?

The law is an ass sometimes ;)

Personally Meta and Rob I'd have a miners right just for the fact of it being so cheap and reasonable, I think NSW needs one to actually protect our rights as others have mentioned in the past.

I think a Miners right is related to prospecting
Here in vic for Minerals.

I think detecting in suburban parks is a different
issue and Local laws need to be followed.

If a council bans coin detecting i don't think the
miners right Would over right that policy And
I am not Aware of rules or policies based on local
council laws etc that are related to a miners right if
a council Ban is in place though you have a miners
right and so on.

One of the moderators (the duck) might chime in
With more info because he works for one of the
Councils around Melbourne unless something has
Changed.

I think you would find that metal detecting in Parks is prohibited in Victoria.
With the recent increase in popularity of coin hunting in parks and the fact that many leave messy unfilled holes we need to very careful if searching for coins in areas like parks. :eek:

Digging big holes in parks is illegal, simply detecting is not. Thats why I only ever recommend the pinpointer and screwdriver technique, if the pinpointer can't detect it I leave it as it means it's too deep.

Swinging & digging said:
I think you would find that metal detecting in Parks is prohibited in Victoria.

I dont think thats correct, each individual shire has their own by-law regulations, some allow it, some dont.

In Melbourne there exists a professional detecting business, dedicated to offering a 'finders' service to those that have lost valuables in parks, beaches etc.

Professional Metal Detecting & Recovery Service http://detect.net.au/

I doubt they would be able to legally run this business, if what you say is fact?

No more than 2 years ago, I successfully gained permission from a Shire Council to coin shoot a particular park i was interested in and was explicitly told to have no more than 3 people with me, no disturbing the vegetation, and to stay well clear of others enjoying the parks facilities!

As Heatho says, I was very careful with every recovery.....you couldnt even tell i had been there ;)

Where did this start so many opinions I use a golf tee to mark a target & prep my pinpointer & probe (fibreglass ) if it is close to the top I pop it if further look is needed 3 sided plug in soft conditions works well. Do as little demage
As possible & repair whatever you did sometimes it's best to be discreet Cheers. Dave. :)

Latest posts