Metal Detecting As A Tool For PTSD Recovery

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Totally agree with that article Jennifer, and the companionship / back to nature benefits should never be dismissed.

On a different note however I wonder how many actually get PTSD after digging hundreds of negative targets without a little piece of gold. 🤔

I believe you’re thinking of a different PTSD, “Phucking Trash Setting-off Detector” again… similar but different.

I believe you’re thinking of a different PTSD, “Phucking Trash Setting-off Detector” again… similar but different.

Yeh...that's the one Jen...I think many get that disease and it causes side effects like lack of sleep, nightmares, using four letter words you didn't know were in your vocabulary. Glad it's not contagious 🤔 .

On a serious note though Jen, I have a mate who is a young Army vet who has PTSD and he has just become a member of this Forum a couple of weeks ago. He got the detecting bug big time and recons this hobby is the best thing that has ever happened to him. Just shows how getting back to nature with a purpose in life can be so enlightening to the soul.

I agree about the mental health benefits.
I don't suffer from PTSD as far as i know and have had a shocker of a year mental health wise.
First my mum passed away.
Then my best friend passed. He had a coughing fit when he had the flu. Tripped over while coughing and hit his head. Sat down a while later in his armchair, fell asleep and never woke up. He was 61.
Then another old friend passed. Went to work, sat down at his workstation and had a heart attack that killed him. He was found slumped over his workstation dead. 61 years old.
That really affected me for quite a while and made me reassess life.
I decided it was time for full time out.
You never know what's coming.
I've always loved being in the bush so decided to try spending detecting a lot more than usual.
I've found it has helped me immensely. I went from sitting around depressed to feeling a lot better.
I'm still grieving and it is slowly getting a bit better.

In the end we can have all the toys we want but without our health they mean nothing.

Im just taking it one day at a time now and enjoying life, grateful for the simple things.

I don't suffer from PTSD as far as i know and have had a shocker of a year mental health wise.
Then my best friend passed. He had a coughing fit when he had the flu. Tripped over while coughing and hit his head. Sat down a while later in his armchair, fell asleep and never woke up. He was 61.
Then another old friend passed. Went to work, sat down at his workstation and had a heart attack that killed him. He was found slumped over his workstation dead. 61 years old.
I've always loved being in the bush so decided to try spending detecting a lot more than usual.
I've found it has helped me immensely. I went from sitting around depressed to feeling a lot better.

In the end we can have all the toys we want but without our health they mean nothing.

Im just taking it one day at a time now and enjoying life, grateful for the simple things.

Certainly had a bad time there SL. My moto for a long time has been " Life's Short, don't waste it " I know it well enough myself as have been fighting the big " C " for 12 years now and am at the age where you go to more funerals than weddings 😢.

When you lose mates it cuts deep, but without a positive outlook in life you might as well get a shovel and start digging a big hole. Mother nature is in my opinion a far bigger cure than all the drugs in a chemist shop. Cherish your mates, keep negativity locked up in a cupboard, and live life as though its your last day...we all have a use by date but lets have a lot of tomorrows before that time is upon us.

Certainly had a bad time there SL. My moto for a long time has been " Life's Short, don't waste it " I know it well enough myself as have been fighting the big " C " for 12 years now and am at the age where you go to more funerals than weddings 😢.

When you lose mates it cuts deep, but without a positive outlook in life you might as well get a shovel and start digging a big hole. Mother nature is in my opinion a far bigger cure than all the drugs in a chemist shop. Cherish your mates, keep negativity locked up in a cupboard, and live life as though its your last day...we all have a use by date but lets have a lot of tomorrows before that time is upon us.
Funnily enough the older we get the more it is such things surround us 👍 Old gunny next door, well older than myself he is at 82, reckons he ain't slowing down because he refuses to let old age catch up to him.. He still goes out detecting :oops: Great code to live by me thinks 🤔

SL I am very sorry for your losses and my sympathies to you and their respective families and loved ones. I am also very pleased that you found a positive release from your thoughts. Stay Safe mate. Mackka

Funnily enough the older we get the more it is such things surround us 👍 Old gunny next door, well older than myself he is at 82, reckons he ain't slowing down because he refuses to let old age catch up to him.. He still goes out detecting :oops: Great code to live by me thinks 🤔
Yep. It is a good code to live by.
A bit of topic but I noticed now that the best way to treat bad back is with the active approach.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-09...ack-pain-offers-hope-to-australians/101398750

Latest posts