Melbourne rain ...noise in the roof...manhole inspection...found this

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeathKiss

George Popa
Reaction score
Hey guys,
last night it rained over South Morang ...... woke up around 2 am .....noises....bangs.. squeals...in the roof....
half way sleep ....grabbed a kitchen chair.....wanted to have a look in the manhole to see what the heck is going on .......
amazingly.....2 possums chasing each other in the roof ..... on their period or so ....who knows....i`m not a vet .....
pointing the flashlight around to see if there`s more than 2 ....it comes to my attention something redish.....
while still have asleep .... managed to get up in the roof through manhole.... dragged myself like in army training camp to the redish thing....and found this

1474415391_123.jpg

1474415409_1234.jpg

Been in Australia since feb 2009 , so it was an amazing discovery as i`ve never seen before this note.....
How long they were in circulation? how come it doesn`t have a manufacturing year on it....anyway ....looks awesome .... and i`m amazed !!!

end of story.... crashed back to sleep :)

DK :D

In the roof? I'd make sure it's legit before trying to pass it.

"2 possums chasing each other in the roof ..... on their period or so ....who knows....i`m not a vet ....."
Yes obviously not a vet or you'd know what animals like to do in the springtime :)

p.s. - no 'W' in manhole.

Lasseter said:
In the roof? I'd make sure it's legit before trying to pass it.

"2 possums chasing each other in the roof ..... on their period or so ....who knows....i`m not a vet ....."
Yes obviously not a vet or you'd know what animals like to do in the springtime :)

p.s. - no 'W' in manhole.

English 3rd language ..... sorry for the W ...can`t edit anymore.....

In regards to legit what do you mean ? 8)

Some information on the $20.

The Australian twenty-dollar banknote was issued when the currency was changed from the Australian pound to the Australian dollar on 14 February 1966.[1] It replaced the 10 note which had similar orange colouration. There have been only two different issues of this denomination: a paper note which had a gradient of yellow and red, with a distinct orange background, and a polymer note which can be recognised for its distinct red-orange colouration. The polymer note was issued on 31 October 1994

The people depicted on the paper note issue were Sir Charles Kingsford Smith on the obverse along with five Lissajous curves drawn by a two-pendulum harmonograph, and Lawrence Hargrave on the reverse with his drawings of kites and type aircraft designs

Ramjet said:
Some information on the $20.

The Australian twenty-dollar banknote was issued when the currency was changed from the Australian pound to the Australian dollar on 14 February 1966.[1] It replaced the 10 note which had similar orange colouration. There have been only two different issues of this denomination: a paper note which had a gradient of yellow and red, with a distinct orange background, and a polymer note which can be recognised for its distinct red-orange colouration. The polymer note was issued on 31 October 1994

The people depicted on the paper note issue were Sir Charles Kingsford Smith on the obverse along with five Lissajous curves drawn by a two-pendulum harmonograph, and Lawrence Hargrave on the reverse with his drawings of kites and type aircraft designs

Thanks Ram,
i`m still baffled that has no year on it?
from what i can see it looks like the 1966-1994 batch . looks yellowish also , not only red and orange

Nuggetbuster said:
DeathKiss said:
Thanks Ram,
i`m still baffled that has no year on it?
from what i can see it looks like the 1966-1994 batch . looks yellowish also , not only red and orange

Definitely from 66 to 94 - the fact that it's paper is the first clue.

As for possible year:

http://www.australian-coins.com/banknotes/australian-paper-20-note-value/

Yours looks to be from 1985 to 1988
From your link i take it is this one : Johnston/Fraser 1985-1988 ... if the governor was johnston and his signature looks like that ....

Legend Nuggetbuster

AtomRat said:
That's some cool info Ramjet, I don't think I even got to use one of those notes and knew very little till now, great thread :D

Cant remember all the nicknames but some were.
$2 - green grocer $10 was a blue swimmer $20 was a lobster $50 was a pineapple and the $100 was an iceman .
Old paper money just seemed to feel like real money and worth something .

Amorous possums may have stirred up the stash.

Old lady next door at a previous house kept a few shopping bags in the wall in the kitchen sink cupboard. Near on $50k.

Couldn't take it with her though. Lucky her son found the parting gift before the house was sold.

GaryO said:
Dk , id be lifting up any insulation bats in the roof incase there is a whole hoard of money up there.

there`s no insulation in that spot, it`s a patch of 1.5 square meter without...
I believe previous owner was storing some boxes in the roof and after he moved out it dropped by mistake?
the house it`s 10-15 yrs old max , so unless the previous owner was a collector, there`s no explanation how it got there ...

Great find mate. You can still legitimately spend it at the shops but I'd hang onto it.
The young checkout chick at Coles wouldn't have a clue what it is probably.
As for the year of manafacture I used to date a girl who worked at note printing Australia.
From memory she said the drop the last number on the serial number and the last 2 give you the year the note was printed.
If this is the case yours is a 1992 note. I could be wrong tho.
Great find

I came across 2 of the Commonwealth of Australia ones a few years back at work,I bought them and put them away for a rainy day.I was going to Canberra one day and a mate suggested I take them to a dealer and get them valued.Ended up being offered $25 each for them.Whilst there the dealer showed me a book of Australian banknotes with a Commonwealth of Australia $20 note listed in it that in fine condition he would happily give me $10,000 for.Can't remember exact details but it had something to do with the 2 signatures on the note,the Governor and Treasurer at the time only signed the note for a few months hence making them quite rare.I asked the dealer if he was happy to give me 10 grand then what is it really worth? He laughed and said" can't tell you that".

Latest posts