MCG - Sunday night - what a joke

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had the great pleasure tonight of attending a VFL/AFL record. The worst attendance of a Collingwood/Carlton game since 1921. Sunday night, freezing weather, start of school holidays, overpriced beer, chips, dim sims-you name it. The only, and I repeat only upside is we beat the filth. 40,000 - what a joke. In any other city or code in Australia, that would be good. Adelaide got 50,000 today-sold out- good for them on their pretty ground. But the "G" - give me a break. So to the AFL -a 7.20PM start on a Sunday for a 'blockbuster" - you are stooges and should be held to account for this nonsense. Now sitting at Young and Jacksons, about to catch a train to Southern Cross, to catch a train to Ballarat, to drive to Creswick. Blah!!!!!! To add insult to injury - could not get a hot jam donut anywhere, and no steam dimmies.

Agreed loamer. I don't see why in late June (weather is what I'm getting at) you would bother. I love the idea but at either end of the season when the weather is better. Good for TV though. Glad they won message otherwise it would be a chilly miserable trip.

Imagine Bulldogs versus Lions??? If you rang up and said what time does it start, they would ask, what time can you get here. 40,000 anywhere else would be a good crowd - but the G felt empty. There were not even any special trains or trams!! Never again. My grandsons thought it was a hoot though, so I guess thats all that counts.

Come over to the Bulls, Saturdays only and reasonably priced beer.
As for the filth, haven't heard that term since I wore a uniform. 8)

They are the filth and I am yet to meet a Carlton supporter I like. I love meeting them at gold events, they usually have a filth sticker on their 'off-road' vehicle, complete with snorkel, which is needed around the central goldfields for puddles and 'backoff' spare wheel covers. I especially love sending them to the worst possible flogged sites. They are proven cheats, woulda coulda shoulda toffs and not worth my time nor effort. Apart from that - nice folk. Funnily enough, you see very few of them living up around Dunolly, Bealiba, tarnagulla etc, which is just as well. Might get their Country Road outfits dusty or muddy. They do seem to congregate around caffe latte shops in the country on the weekends looking down their noses at us mere mortals. Never know when you are going to need a snorkel on the Melbourne - Ballarat - Bendigo Freeway. Sit on train with the sooks heading home and you soon get the idea.

Teams aside, totally agree that Sunday night is a total non event .... went to the Essendon Sunday night game a few weeks ago and they gave the group numbers as 40,000 ........ if it was actually 30,000 I'll walk naked down Bourke street. Pretty sur ether fudged the numbers to make it appear more successful than it really was, didn't go last night but could be the same?
Oh by the way, Go Dons
Guess we can't all be perfect.

Footy has changed and the price for a beer, pie or
Hotdog is simply expensive.

Then the times footy start like 1.15pm or 4.40pm
On a sunday.

Bring back cheapier pies and beers and the reserves
team playing Before the seniors and make the bottom
3 pick their draft picks out of a hat.

I think country footy to watch is better and has a
better vibe.

Last fortnight at Dunolly Football/Netball club.

$25.00

All you can EAT and DRINK bbq from 7pm to 9pm.

with a $1000 lucky ticket for one lucky attendee.

was a great night.

loamer said:
They are the filth and I am yet to meet a Carlton supporter I like. I love meeting them at gold events, they usually have a filth sticker on their 'off-road' vehicle, complete with snorkel, which is needed around the central goldfields for puddles and 'backoff' spare wheel covers. I especially love sending them to the worst possible flogged sites. They are proven cheats, woulda coulda shoulda toffs and not worth my time nor effort. Apart from that - nice folk. Funnily enough, you see very few of them living up around Dunolly, Bealiba, tarnagulla etc, which is just as well. Might get their Country Road outfits dusty or muddy. They do seem to congregate around caffe latte shops in the country on the weekends looking down their noses at us mere mortals. Never know when you are going to need a snorkel on the Melbourne - Ballarat - Bendigo Freeway. Sit on train with the sooks heading home and you soon get the idea.

1st sentence : Couldn't agree more Loamer

Wolfau said:
Footy has changed and the price for a beer, pie or
Hotdog is simply expensive.

Then the times footy start like 1.15pm or 4.40pm
On a sunday.

Bring back cheapier pies and beers and the reserves
team playing Before the seniors and make the bottom
3 pick their draft picks out of a hat.

I think country footy to watch is better and has a
better vibe.

Well said Wolfau. seems to be all about profit= greed these days. bugga the working class families.same as pubs, a pint of beer
is a ridiculous price. here in s.a. - the cultural hub of ozzzz :rolleyes: in a newspaper article last week, the poor pubs are doing it tough. ohhh gee. wonder why ?
the old days of going to the pub are gone for low income earners and pensioners. $ 7.50 for a pint is about 5 cans out of a carton. simple economics.

1404117444_image.jpg

One reason I wont go to any more footy games, took the nephew last year to a state of origin match first time for me as well, talk about gouging the fans, all food and beverages what a bloody rip off, never again!. Bring back the footy players who had day jobs.

Eddie wants compensation for the loss of money for the low attendance.

The photo above. I think she eat the pies, the team that is.

Latest posts