Math Calculation for pumps and HB

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jml

Jeff
Reaction score
Hi,

I am trying to calculate the litres per minute required to supply water down a 200mm wide HB where I need the water depth to be maintained at 50mm. Are there any Gurus out there that can inform us of the math formulas required? I guest the slope of the HB is another factor to consider along with velocity. What is the starting point.... mathematically?

JML

Calculate the volume of the sluice.. length x width x depth required (use meters)

This will give you the volume of water required

Example if your hb is 1m long 20 cm wide

Calculate 1 * 0.2 * 0.05 = 0.01 cubic meters. This = 10 liters
If your hb is 900 mm = 0.9 * 0.2 * 0.05 = 9 lt...

TenOunce Tone said:
Calculate the volume of the sluice.. length x width x depth required

This will give you the volume of water required

if you took that figure and multiplied x the speed of the flow

look at a few videos of HB's and you could calculate close to the figure based on the speed of others if you watch a stone rolling down them

its volume x time

heads up is right you have to multiply by the speed of the flow. I'll let you know that is going to be a bloody big flow. I am looking for calculating the flow of a spill over that should give the best calculations of 50mmx200mm spill way as it will give you something close.

if he is using hungarian riffles that are 40- 50 mm high its not really 50 mm depth

the water flowing over the riffles will be higher velocity than in between them and might only give you 15 mm on top of the top of the riffle

other 200 mm wide sluices / HB's use from 120 - 160 litres then that will be a starting point

i have even seen a 300 mm wide HB that runs 120 litres / min and it has 40 mm high riffles

does the OP have a photo of the riffle design ?

Have a look at the HB builders sites as lots have recommended pump volumes. If you are making a 50mm deep river that will be one big pump.
My sluice 150mm and the second is 300mm they run 2.5 & 5.5 hp 1.5 &2.5 inch hose. The little one about 350-400 lpm the other I have forgotten but pump flat out. Water is 15-20mm deep on an 8 degree slope, Gold Hog matt.

More info or some photos will help

Very interesting thread guys,

I am thinking of converting my sluice to a HB but was also unsure of the right pump to use. this may steer me in the right direction.

Cheers,
Matt

Mine is 300mm and would be requiring 50mm+ of water too, I was just gonna run with a pump rated at 1550gph (keeping in mind the old head height theory too) and have adjustable flow then work out fine tuning from there

This site may have some good info Gold hog mini sluice. He is looking for atleast 50 gpm which is approx 200 lmp.

I have 2 pumps because the first could not supply the required volume.

have a look at this thread too https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2524

The 12v electric pump highbankers wont cut it unless you can supply heaps of amps to get the flow rate. Generally 1800 to 2000 watts required for good flow rate.

the 2.5 won't run the large sluice properly. Small sluice is getting a new box & grissley it runs on the small pump
Good luck

1380665260_imag0150_577x1024.jpg

1380665688_imag0151_1024x577.jpg

calala said:
Craigo 1550gph is only going to give you 117lpm. I think you will require 300+lpm for 300mm sluice.

My appologies that should have read 2x 1550gph, figured Id have close to enough

slowflow said:
This site may have some good info Gold hog mini sluice. He is looking for atleast 50 gpm which is approx 200 lmp.

I have 2 pumps because the first could not supply the required volume.

have a look at this thread too https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2524

The 12v electric pump highbankers wont cut it unless you can supply heaps of amps to get the flow rate. Generally 1800 to 2000 watts required for good flow rate.

the 2.5 won't run the large sluice properly. Small sluice is getting a new box & grissley it runs on the small pump
Good luck

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1071/1380665260_imag0150_577x1024.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1071/1380665688_imag0151_1024x577.jpg

thanks

have you got photos of your riffle design ?

there are so many variations and they have different flow characteristics and flow requirements

I just upgraded the sluice on my HB to a 300 mm wide with modified hungarian riffles and tiptop bread crate tray secondary

I had been using a AM plastic river sluice but i had increased the flow rate through it so much it was overwhelmed and losing alot of gold

I'm using Gold Hog mat in both. both are 8 feet long 310mm and 150mm the sluice is run comparatively flat at between about 7 to 9 degrees, set using my phone. This manufactures recommends low angle high flow operation.

1380680641_imag0153_577x1024.jpg

Max riffle height is about 20mm there are 3 different mat types there. The tape forms a channel in the sluice so everything goes across the mat.

I had HR + miners mesh (bunnings) under expanded mesh, it worked well.

I think the GH mat gets more only because the sluice length was doubled form 3 to 6 feet when the mat type was changed. Length seems to recover more because as the top rifles are filled the bottom ones extract gold meanwhile the top are cleaned of lights by the water flow & the process recommences. Gh is easy to clean & I'm lazy.

1380682248_imag0157_-_copy_1024x577.jpg

1380682315_imag0158_-_copy_577x1024.jpg

The river sluice same principle and the old HR expanded which only gave the sluice a small working area

River sluice goes at the bottom of the other sluice to check for losses when in unfamiliar territory.

Barry

slowflow said:
I'm using Gold Hog mat in both. both are 8 feet long 310mm and 150mm the sluice is run comparatively flat at between about 7 to 9 degrees, set using my phone. This manufactures recommends low angle high flow operation. https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1071/1380680641_imag0153_577x1024.jpg

Max riffle height is about 20mm there are 3 different mat types there. The tape forms a channel in the sluice so everything goes across the mat.

I had HR + miners mesh (bunnings) under expanded mesh, it worked well.

I think the GH mat gets more only because the sluice length was doubled form 3 to 6 feet when the mat type was changed. Length seems to recover more because as the top rifles are filled the bottom ones extract gold meanwhile the top are cleaned of lights by the water flow & the process recommences. Gh is easy to clean & I'm lazy.

i see you have UR mat there in places

does that still catch and hold the fines with the high flow rates ?

i was thinking of trying their goldhog plus bedrock mat in the top of my sluice but wasnt sure about the UR with high flows , i am hoping to shovel continuously without stopping and breaking the rhythm which would create a sloppy slurry of gravel on occasions testing with my previous 250 wide sluice

thanks and best wishes

I have only found fine gold, it seems to hold right across the mat, With the small sluice I can just keep shovelling. The big one can be feed continously by 2, with a clean up each tank (1.5-2 hours).

Last trip to Hill End
1380687117_xx-42aee58e-2282813-960-100_-_copy_150x150.jpg

Setup highbanker setup pump pump water into highbanker shovel dirt for a few hours :D
To teco for me all this water flow maths... :D :D

jml said:
Hi,

I am trying to calculate the litres per minute required to supply water down a 200mm wide HB where I need the water depth to be maintained at 50mm. Are there any Gurus out there that can inform us of the math formulas required? I guest the slope of the HB is another factor to consider along with velocity. What is the starting point.... mathematically?

JML

I'm no mathematician.
Seen plenty of small highbankers run on the little 1" 2 & 4stroke pumps (115LPM approx) & work fine - catching extremely fine gold to chunky...
Most of the bankers I've come across were around 200mm upto 250mm +/- & guessing about 25mm of flow depth.

Some of the water flows mentioned are huge! I use a 110Lpm pump on half throttle through a 1" hose and this supplies plenty of water for my 3ft Keene highbanker. Bigger pump just makes it hard to get to remote areas.

DD

Latest posts