Maps and Charts "Peter Rumball "

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zakman - no and have not heard anything about them either. Have you see John Tully's map series of the triangle? His maps do not have topo or geo data and are indicative of goldfields, leads, reefs and the like so to get a broader view some work is required. I guess some folk do what Rumball has done - get old maps , old reports, current geo maps, current topo maps, current deep lead maps and then create overlays using sheets of stiffened plastic. Tully does have grid references and some GPS references so to create the overlays is not too bad. The issue becomes with the old published and unpublished maps trying to do the distance conversions (chains to metres etc) and find out exactly where you are on these old maps. Hint: If they have railway lines they are a pretty close match. I have also found that some modern maps have 'old gold workings' as a map note in places unreported. What I can tell you is that I have spent many hours on these overlays and the majority of times the spots I find are patchy and scratchy at best (hence why the old timers left them alone) but have had some good luck as well.

hi zakman
the first thing that I noticed on that link you put up was the pic of the "20 kilo nugget" that he said was found between broome and brissy.
that nugget is the one that gypsey was suppose to have found down near Coolgardie and had taken off her,
some say it was photo shopped but either way it was not found between broome and brissy
so my question is, has he just made up story's about the other goldfinds on his website.

not a good start for someone selling stuff to be caught out putting false info up.
regards trashmagnet

That webpage falls into the same layout category as such scams as Hydrogen fuel cells made out of jars of sodium hydroxide, stainless steel scrap and pipes - every bit further you read down the page just makes the offer sound more and more too good to be true...although it is only $17-, the way these pages work is give a lot of people nothiing worthwhile for lots of little bits of money and hope no-one complains because the $ amount is so small. I would be very tentative about spending my hard earned there...but I tend to be a cynic.

Amen to the advice above. Put it this way - if I 'knew' where there was big gold just waiting you reckon I would sell my info? There are similar items on ebay of maps etc that are downloaded from various sites for free. I believe the national Library of Oz and the State Library of Vic are none too pleased with their crown copyright being sold by third parties. The libraries have absolutely no issue with us downloading their maps for personal use and fair use for comment/research etc just as long as it does not breach the copyright act. For example, I recently paid $16 to get a library set of unpublished notes (46 pages) copied that I found archived and the library was more than happy to help BUT it came with a fair warning about third party usage. The old adage - if it's too good to be true........

P.S. We haven't had a gold diving rod sledge for a while.

Hello loamer
Does the library have the unpublished notes / reports digitized yet or did you still have to go to the dept of minerals or whatever they are called this week & trawl through the old microfisch files. I had book of unpublished reports for the Yackandandah goldfield but seemed to have misplaced it. I would also like to expand on what I already have for N,east Victoria.

Hi Jethro - snap - troll through the microfiche and I don't believe there is any talk in the short term to get it digitised. mind you - they are nice crew to deal with.

Vic maps? National Library of Australia - Trove - set the default to 'online'. You can download the maps or use the snipping tool. I have mine printed on a plotter (biggest size - some slight pixulation (if that is in fact a word). Also, Vic DPI has them but I think you may have to buy the old parish series. (1 :32,000 I think). I have the set and bought the ones I wanted printed off. Also, try the State Library of Victoria. For geo and topos, they are free to download - once again through the DPI site. the old maps take some work translating across to newer maps. probably other states are covered but I haven't bothered. It is great fun making your own maps and I spend a lot of time walking and driving and doing map alterations, updates etc. Most are now on my laptop which is robust enough but I carry it in a pelican case just to be on the safe side. I can cross-reference to 1:25 000 which whilst are as not as detailed as say John Tullys maps for gold, they do have the topo data that is so valuable. for example, old report may say 'head of gully' or 'small runs from side gullies' - these can only be seen on a topo map. Geovic is OK but does not give the full details I want.

the vic dpi cd's are great. the ones I have are,

1. miscellaneous geological maps and goldfields maps
2. pre-digital geological map series
3.geological quarter sheet series
4.bulletins 1-62 & memoirs 1-31

good on there own but when used with a photo shop program you can zoom/crop and print any area you that suits you.
regards trashmagnet

Hi Zakman,
Based on what I received when I bought some other blokes on-line offerings I'd be tempted to say hang on to your cash.
As they say if it sounds too good to be true it usually is, if you have time to research on-line yourself most of the info will be there ..... or someone on the forum can probably point you in the right direction.
I'd be tempted to stick to the known suppliers of info, the Tully/Barnham etc type better still if you're in an area check out their info centre or local 'museum' , this will often have relevant info published by a local with heaps of knowledge.
If nothing else they're great historical references.
How's that new toy going?
Cheers Tom

trashmagnet said:
...good on there own but when used with a photo shop program you can zoom/crop and print any area you that suits you...

It is also possible to overlay several maps together - such as google maps, or google earth screenshots with the dpi geo maps. You need to be able to adjust layer transparency - but I find that this can aid identifying features when in the field.

Hey Thanks guys this is great info. Yes I hold on to my money. All good points .

I have the John Tully Castlemaine Maps book and its pretty good, some of the road orientations arn't quite right but with google maps and his book I'im slowly finding my way but of course these areas will be well prospected so it would be nice to find some not so obvious areas which will happen in "good time."

Thanks again for the tips. Im using the DPI web site, that is pretty cool.

Teemore, haven't been able to try the GPX 4500 as yet won't be back in Kyneton / Taradale till the 16th of Nov:)

So it' just research time for now.((

Rgds

Zakman

Hi Zakman,
The 'mud maps' by Tully/Barnham and others aren't quite to Google Maps standards but after visiting the same area with 2 such maps as well as the local parks info everything fell into place and I now know exactly where I am on any of the maps ..... don't have a 4x4 so not sure about the 4x4 tracks marked but the other stuff give good although not always to scale info.

Hope to pull the pin and retire in the next 3 - 6 months so will spend up on a detector when that happens, looking around for a few "gold Tour/Instruction" type operations to get as much info on detector pros and cons before I buy (you Dunolly contact is noted).

Know you'll have fun with it,
Cheers Tom.

Hi Guys I do have one more more question about the Tully maps it regarding the legend; The greeny blue is public areas but whats the white areas? Some looks like residential and some looks like crown land???

If someone can clarify that would be a great help.

Zakman.

Zacman - White is private land. I understand what you mean - at times the 'green' stops but the trees continue into the 'white'. Green is indicative of crown land. he is usually spot on. The 'white' spots you see slap bang in the middle of crown land is usually old selectors blocks and still under private ownership, although most are unoccupied and unimproved. Some 'green' places on Tully's are still fenced, as in the 'Long Bush' area (Tarnagulla maps), but the green bits are crown land - usually old agisted areas. You do have complete access right up to the private land, including road side verges.

Thanks Loamer that really helps I been scratching my head trying to work that out.

Great.

I also have the Gold & Relic Sites Maps from Douglas & Stone so all I have to do is Find the time to get my ass---ss down to Kyneton and fine A nugget haven't found anything but lead and can tops. Brought my test sample .3 gram from the Dunolly shop.

hahah.

So far I could have bought about 4+ oz of gold HA HA :eek:

Careful of some of stones maps - I know of a case where he has marked crown land that most definitely is not - Tarnagulla goldfield map. Its Cays map 5 in Tully's Tarnagulla series. Tully has correctly marked the British Lead (as it runs off the Cumberland lead) on the southern side of the Tarnagulla - Lanacoorie Rd as private, Stone has it marked as crown. Its the area bound by Ramon Parade to the west and south and of the water treatment plant to the west.

Ok thanks for that I'm only using the Castlemaine and
Daylesford
Maps as I'm place is actually in Taradale
So that's the area I want to mainly work on.
I cross check the crown land spots.
With dpi we site.
Thks

The Zakman

Wow just reading all your posts it was very informative i did not know that about some of the maps I have been to the vic dpi to try & download maps I have a lot to learn thanks for the info

Latest posts