Looking for recommendations for a gold detector

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all
I'm looking to start my gold finding journey .
I'm totally new to this and would like recommendations on which machine would suit finding small and bigger targets ?
From what I've seen on you tube there is a video on the minelab goldmonster 1000 which doesn't recommend it at all!

Cheers :D

Minelab sd 2200d or gpx 3000 both good machines starting out.
Ive got a 2200d with a coiltek 14dd and picked up a 4 inch nail 2 feet down. Unfortunately :awful: I still use it as I just turn it on and pretty much go!

It all depends where you are planning on detecting. Some machines are more suited to area's than others.

I just go a GPX 4500 from Townsville has everything you need even an Evolution nugget finder 15" coil. I am new to this as well but was told by friends I couldn't go past a 4500.

Sdc2300 should also be in there. I've never used one but I've heard good things about them

Minelab 705 gold pack. Great for a beginner and very easy to learn. Anaconda have them on sale for $630. Had mine 2 weeks and made more finds than I did with two previous detectors that I owned for 6 or so years.

All depends on your budget, i persnally would go with the dearest minelab you can afford, but the more you spend the more you need to find to make it justifiable.

Heres some approximations,

Average detector price $4000
Avg targets dug per 1 nugget is 100
Avg targets dug per day 50 to 100
Avg trip cost per day $80
Avg daily gold value recovered -$40
Avg days pain to recover from detecting 1.5
Seeing old diggings priceless
Meeting great people priceless
Returning home looking like you found 3 ounces when in fact you have 0.3grams an old button and a pocket full of nails , garaunteed :Y:

Its nothing like tv or utube but when you have gold fever its all worth it.

From cheapest to dearest my recommendations are
Gold monster
Sdc 2300
Gpx 4500
Gpz 7000

They all find gold and they all find trash ,they also can all find nothing. Spending a fortune doesnt guarantee gold , its more about budget and understanding the areas you are planning to detect.

Good luck.

Thanks people !
Appreciate the advice :D
I'm looking to troll the golden triangle and maldon .
Budget $1000 used detector .
From what I've read the sdc 2300 is great for detecting the smaller nuggets most detectors miss .

Can someone recommend a detector now ?
Cheers

Welcome Newbie 76. Like what aussiefarmer stated. All detectors find gold. It's the research research research that actuals finds gold in the end. Knowing what you look for in area you are in. Buy one you can afford, then do your homework. Always take your rubbish home good luck.

Jaros said:
Welcome N76.
Thanks jaros
Can you recommend detectors to use in the golden triangle ?
There is just so many options to consider !
I'm just starting out any info is appreciated :D

Newbie 76

Latest posts