look what I found

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amazing find

I wonder why it was buried as from all the accounts I have read the roads to and from the gold diggings where very dangerous from bushrangers and you would think any digger would have his sidearm in close reach at all times.

Brilliant,

Cheers

G'Day Steve01 and LBG Dreamer,
What a great find, I bet the detector let you know you were onto something big.
For your information it's NOT a Colt revolver, the give away being your find has a full frame and Colt did not hold any patents for full framed revolvers till later in their history.
What you have is a Remington Model 1858 revolver, the clue here is the cone shaped hole in front of the cylinder at the bottom of the frame.
If you like to Google the name and model you should find plenty of images, I tried to up-load one but can't seem to get it to work.
Cheers, SinHof.

If it's the Remington here's what it would have looked like new:

8787447_1.jpg

I still think its a colt the reason being the trigger guard is longer, it runs further up towards the front of the gun.

Some of the Colts also have that hole.

Could we please get a photo of the other side of it Steveo?

It must be a cap and ball black powder pistol? From memory the lever under the barrel was used like a ramming rod for the wadding .
A great find.
Cheers Mackka

Hi Gcause,
This is certainly an interesting subject and thanks for posting the images; as you mentioned, a photo of the opposite side of the revolver would be interesting.
I based my ID on the fact that it appears from the detail in Steveo1's photo that it's a full frame revolver and as far as I'm aware Colt did not have any patents for full framed revolvers at that time; I could be wrong on that though.
It appears Colt revolvers were popular on the gold fields, one of the reasons being, as you mentioned, they could easily be repaired due to the parts being interchangeable.
The whole subject of the types of firearms and who had what and the reasons for their choices is a fascinating subject and one can spend many many hours sifting through the available information.
Cheers, SinHof.

hi Gcause. amazing history there.makes ya wonder if any one was shot with it. there must have been a lot of disputes and ''disappearances '' in the old days. BOOOOOM BAABBBBY. :eek:

What a great find, I know some who would pay a few dollars for that. Sure looks like a Colt revolver. When and if you do clean it try and obtain any numbers or letters off it.

Truly a great find, I bet that would be on everyone's detecting bucket list! As far as I can see, it looks to be a Remington New Model Police Revolver, as it comes out with the 5-1/2" barrel.

1404578056_8649726_1.jpeg

Whoa! That is awesome! Amazing what gets discovered in this hobby. Congratulations.

Hey stevo1 I just watched a program on channel 1 at 3.30pm called American Diggers. They were at Tombstone and a bloke was lowered down a hole and he found a revolver, rusty of course. Anyway the head man took it to a dealer, not cleaned and got $3,600US for it. I think you have struck pay dirt.
Well done.
Mackka

Latest posts