look what I found

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveo1

Steve
Reaction score
I have to get lbg dreamer to send the photo for me .as it tells me that the photo is to big to send. :D

Cool find, is it real? What do you do when you find a relic like that, I mean I know it's not going to work but do the police want to know about finds like this? Would be pretty crap getting pulled over for an RBT and they see that in your finds bucket and............next thing you're on the news getting pulled out of your car and.....

It is a nug if you spell it backwards. :)

On didn't go out .matt. yep heatho it is real it is a 5 shooter some old timer buried it next to a old tree .

It looks like a Colt revolver either a 1848 Baby Dragoon or a 1850 Pocket or an 1851 Navy model.

They came in .31 or .44 caliber and were either five or six shot.

They were single action meaning you had to cock the hammer each time you wanted to shoot.

You can see it has a lever action on the front of it to release the barrel.

They had a rifled barrel in 4, 5 and 6 inch lengths respectively.

Those were the three most popular revolvers used by the diggers on the Australian goldfields.

The Colt although more expensive was favoured over the British revolvers because of the interchangeability of the parts and they were relatively easy to repair. The American diggers from Californian gold rushes brought them over with them first and later they were imported.

The most popular British revolver was known as the Pepperbox because it was self-cocking, just squeeze the trigger and shoot.

A museum might be able to tell you more about it.

Bloody nice find there. :) :)
A few years back I found a Light Horseman's Officer's Pistol wrapped in leather and grease proof paper buried
in the ground where a house once stood. It looked like it was only cleaned the day before.
Canberra War memorial now has it.
That pistol would be classed as nonoperational and not a threat. Looks like the powder has done a real good job of corroding it.
I would check with the local constabulary about it as gun laws are rather,,,, Strange.

Well Done. :) :)

Hex Barrel too so it is pre 1900's

dwt said:
By far the best find ive seen on this forum yet mate, Holy crap thats awesome.............damm, if only that thing could talk :cool:
I totally agree and what stories it would tell :D

stick it a bucket of molasses and water 9:1 mix ratio for a couple of weeks,the best way to get rid of rust without any damage to the original metal

Great find steveo1!

As far as I know if the gun is over a certain age then it won't have to be registered. Here's the following for NSW which is my state, not sure what state you are in steveo1

What about antique firearms?

An antique firearm does not require registration in NSW, nor does a person require a licence or permit to possess an
antique firearm. NOTE: A licence or permit will still be required to use an antique firearm. An antique revolver (percussion
lock pistol equipped with a revolving cylinder) is not covered by this exemption.

An antique firearm is defined under section 6A(7) of the Act as a firearm (other than a pistol) manufactured before 1900
that is not capable of discharging breech-loaded metallic cartridges or a firearm for which ammunition is no longer
commercially available.

An antique pistol is a defined as a firearm manufactured before 1900 that is not capable of discharging breech loaded
metallic cartridges. (See the document 'Ammunition no longer commercially available' available under 'Firearms in NSW'
on the Firearms Registry website).

http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data...rms_Registration_FACT_SHEET_November_2013.pdf

Latest posts